Just about any type of bread can be used to make croutons, but I’ve found sourdough bread works best because it’s sturdier than most sandwich bread. But, in a pinch, any day-old bread will do. Cutting the croutons into large pieces is my preference, although they can be cut as large or small as desired. With smaller pieces, especially in salads, I often end up chasing them around my salad bowl because as soon as I stab the crouton, it pops out from under my fork. And there’s something about a large crouton floating atop a bowl of soup; it just shouts comfort.
I was at my sister’s house when I first tasted coconut oil herbed croutons. She made up a batch for a Caesar salad that was so delicious, I did a double-take when she told me she used coconut oil to make them – I had never heard of this (older sister = wiser) and there was no coconutty taste. I’ve since never used anything else, and I walk right on by those boxed croutons at the store.
This recipe is versatile, so adjusting the amount and types of herbs and seasonings to taste is a breeze. Because they take so little time to prepare and store for such a long time, the effort is worth it. They’re an easy way to add a special touch to any meal, and your family and guests will love them.
Coconut Oil Herbed Croutons
- Preheat oven to 325F (162C).
- Cube bread and place the cubes in a large mixing bowl.
- Melt the coconut oill. To the coconut oil, add and mix in all the seasoning and herbs. Pour 1/2 the mixture over cubed bread. Stir the croutons. Repeat. Mix well, making sure each piece of bread gets covered.
- Spread croutons evenly onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake at 325F (162F) until golden brown, about 35-40 minutes. Rotate pan halfway through baking.
- Cool and store in sealed plastic bag in pantry for up to two weeks.
Thank you for reading! If you make this recipe, or any others on Vanilla And Bean, be sure to post it to my Facebook page or Instagram, notify me @vanillaandbean and tag #vanillaandbean! I’d love to see what you’ve made! Also, if you like my content, please share it with friends and family and follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook and/or Twitter. Thank you!