Homemade Pizza Sauce is quick to whip up and so simple to make with pantry staples. This Pizza Sauce Recipe is make ahead ready and freezer friendly too! vegan + gluten free
Pizza night happens once a week at our house and because of this, my easy Pizza Sauce Recipe is always on the agenda. Pizza night has been a tradition for as long as I can remember, but it hasn’t always been homemade. I used to think homemade was too hard to make or something I couldn’t learn how to do.
After stepping outside of my box, and overcoming the decision that it was too hard, I started with a yeasted recipe by Peter Reinheart from his book The Bread Bakers Apprentice. Basic at it’s best, and with a nice long rise time, it’s a recipe I returned to again and again because it just tastes so darn good and the techniques are solid.
When I started making Homemade Sourdough Bread, well, that changed everything about my pizza making process. Sourdough is a whole other beast, but I leaned hard on the skills I learned from making yeasted pizza dough and applied it to sourdough pizza with a few tweaks.
I’ve yet to share those two recipes on the blog because I was thwarted with having to go gluten free. I find out soon if I need to stay the course, but until then I got to work right away on a gluten free pizza recipe and posted a Gluten Free Pizza Crust last week. Now, I’m following it up with the best Homemade Pizza Sauce Recipe.
How to Make an Easy Homemade Pizza Sauce Recipe:
- Start with tomato paste and toss it in a food processor or blender.
- Add garlic cloves, olive oil, spices and water.
- Give the ingredients a whirl and you’ve got pizza sauce!
Can you believe how quick and easy this pizza sauce recipe is? And soooo goood!
A Few Homemade Pizza Sauce Recipe Notes:
- Get your favorite tomato paste for this recipe. I like Muir Glen.
- Make a single or double batch – I typically make a double batch and freeze the rest for our next pizza making night. A single batch makes enough for 3, 10″ pizzas. I included a single and double recipe below.
- Take the spicy up by adding an additional 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes to the mix.
- Freezer Friendly? Yes please, up to two months.
Homemade Pizza Sauce
For a Single Batch (about 1 C (275g)):
- In a food processor (fitted with S blade) or blender, spoon in the tomato paste. Add the garlic, salt, oregano, chili flakes, and olive oil. Process for about 30 seconds. Scrape down sides of the bowl, and process again drizzling in all but about 2 Tbs of water. Process for another 30 seconds or until the sauce is smooth. Taste for salt and check for consistency. If a thinner sauce is desired add the remaining water or more if needed. It should be about as thick as mayo. The sauce is now ready to slather all over your pizza crust! Store in a lidded container in the refrigerator for up to three days or in the freezer for up to two months. Thaw in the fridge overnight for use the next day.