A super-fast, whole foods dessert with a pinch of spice and a whole lotta chocolate! Mexican Chocolate Almond Nice Cream Bowls are a crave-worthy way to stay on track but still feel (and tastes) indulgent! A wholesome recipe from Lindsay Cotter’s new book Nourishing Superfood Bowls. vegan + gluten free
When I first started making nice cream (or nicecream?), I kinda went nuts trying all kinds of flavors and combinations. I was amazed at how frozen bananas, a little fat and just about any other flavor I threw at it could turn into a dessert that even had me by-passing the ice cream!
I turn to making vegan banana ice cream (aka nice cream / nicecream) when I want something sweet, fast, and when nothing else will do. It’s incredibly simple and only requires a few ingredients that you probably already have on hand.
It takes a only a bit of preplanning because nice cream starts with frozen bananas and in this recipe, almond butter, then just whip all the ingredients up in a food processor – or blender!
Mexican Chocolate Almond Nice Cream Bowls recipe comes from Lindsay Cotter’s new book Nourishing Superfood Bowls; 75 Healthy and Delicious Gluten-Free Meals to Fuel Your Day. It’s packed with whole foods recipes, with delicious and creative flavors to inspire.
Lindsay’s book caters to a variety of diets, but in each recipe, she suggests ways to modify the recipe and includes vegan, paleo and vegetarian options where appropriate so everyone can enjoy her scrumptious creations.
In Nourishing Superfood Bowls you will find:
- Energizing Breakfast Bowls like Midnight Mocha Oatmeal Bowls
- Zippy Lunch Bowls like Saucy Forbidden Rice Bowls (mmmm… I’ve got my eye on that one too)
- Plant-Powered Bowls like Sweet Potato Picadillo Bowls
- Family – Style Large Bowls like Deconstructed Stuffed Bell pepper Bowls
- Sweet-Tooth Bowls like Mexican Chocolate Almond Nice Cream Bowls
A Few Recipe Notes:
- Plan ahead! The bananas and almond butter need to be frozen at least 1 hour in advance.
- A food processor or blender can be used to make nice cream. If using a blender for this recipe, Lindsay notes to not freeze the almond butter because a blender has difficulty handling it.
- Need vegan chocolate? This resource lists many.
- Nice cream tastes best when enjoyed right after making it. The texture is smooth and the consistency is where you want it to be. I find freezing it completely changes it’s character.
If you’ve not check out Lindsay’s blog, do it! She has so many delicious recipes with drool worthy photography and be sure to check out her new book on Amazon – just look at those glowing reviews! If you’re new to nice cream (or not), I hope you’ll give this recipe a go!
Mexican Chocolate Almond Nice Cream Bowls
A super-fast, whole foods dessert with a pinch of spice and a whole lotta chocolate! Mexican Chocolate Almond Nice Cream Bowls are a crave-worthy way to stay on track but still feel (and tastes) indulgent! vegan + gluten free
- 2 Tbs Almond Butter frozen* see note
- 2 Bananas frozen
- 2 Tbs Raw Cacao or unsweetened baking cocoa powder
- Pinch of Ground Cinnamon
- Pinch of Ground Cayenne Pepper
- Pinch of Fine Sea Salt
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract I use Rodelle
- 1-2 Tbs Melted Dark Chocolate ** see note for vegan chocoalte
Freeze the almond butter (in ice cube tray) and bananas at least 1 hour prior to processing. If using a blender, there's no need to freeze the almond butter as it will not blend well.
In a food processor or blender, combine the almond butter, bananas, cacao, cinnamon, pepper, salt and vanilla. Process for 2-3 minutes stopping to scrape the bowl down several times. Continue processing until a soft-serve texture is formed. With the processor running, drizzle in the melted chocolate - it will freeze on contact to make tiny chocolate flecks. (The food processor may need short breaks in between to prevent over heating).
Pour into 2 small serving bowls. Top with optional toppings and enjoy right away.