A super-fast, whole foods dessert with a pinch of spice and a whole lotta chocolate! This chocolate nice cream recipe is a crave-worthy way to stay on track but still feel (and tastes) indulgent! A wholesome recipe from Lindsay Cotter’s new book Nourishing Superfood Bowls. This recipe is vegan and gluten free.
A Healthier Ice Cream; Nice Cream!
When I first started making nice cream (or nicecream?), I kinda went nuts trying all kinds of flavors and combinations. I was amazed at how frozen bananas, a little fat and just about any other flavor I threw at it could turn into a dessert that even had me by-passing the ice cream!
I turn to making vegan banana ice cream (aka nice cream / nicecream) when I want something sweet, fast, and when nothing else will do. It’s incredibly simple and only requires a few ingredients that you probably already have on hand.
It takes only a bit of preplanning because nice cream starts with frozen bananas and in this recipe, almond butter, then just whip all the ingredients up in a food processor – or blender! Whallah!
An Inspired, Healthy Ice Cream
Mexican Chocolate Almond Nice Cream Bowls recipe comes from Lindsay Cotter’s new book Nourishing Superfood Bowls; 75 Healthy and Delicious Gluten-Free Meals to Fuel Your Day. It’s packed with whole foods recipes, with delicious and creative flavors to inspire.
Lindsay’s book caters to a variety of diets, but in each recipe, she suggests ways to modify the recipe and includes vegan, paleo and vegetarian options where appropriate so everyone can enjoy her scrumptious creations.
Quick Guide: How to Make Mexican Chocolate Nice Cream Bowls
This chocolate nice cream recipe comes together super fast with just a bit of advance planning (see recipe card for details).
- First, in a food processor or blender, combine the frozen almond butter and bananas, cacao, cinnamon, pepper, salt and vanilla.
- Next, process for 2-3 minutes stopping to scrape the bowl down several times. Continue processing until a soft-serve texture is formed. With the processor running, drizzle in the melted chocolate
- Last, spoon the nice cream into bowls or freeze for a firmer set.
Share with chocolate drizzle, toasted coconut or almonds or chocolate chunks!
A Few Recipe Tips
- Plan ahead! The bananas and almond butter need to be frozen at least 1 hour in advance.
- A food processor or high speed blender can be used to make nice cream. If using a blender for this recipe, Lindsay notes to not freeze the almond butter because a blender has difficulty handling it.
- Find vegan chocolate just about everywhere now! VegNews lists many.
- Nice cream tastes best when enjoyed right after making it. The texture is smooth and the consistency is where you want it to be. I find freezing it completely changes it’s character.
If you’re a nice cream fan too, check out my Strawberry Chocolate Chip Nice Cream recipe!
Mexican Chocolate Almond Nice Cream Bowls Recipe
- Freeze the almond butter (in ice cube tray) and bananas at least 1 hour prior to processing. If using a blender, there's no need to freeze the almond butter as it will not blend well.
- In a food processor or blender, combine the almond butter, bananas, cacao, cinnamon, pepper, salt and vanilla. Process for 2-3 minutes stopping to scrape the bowl down several times. Continue processing until a soft-serve texture is formed. With the processor running, drizzle in the melted chocolate - it will freeze on contact to make tiny chocolate flecks. (The food processor may need short breaks in between to prevent over heating).
- Pour into 2 small serving bowls. Top with optional toppings and enjoy right away.