Creamy Farro with Pesto Asparagus and Peas
Creamy, lemony and packed with Spring flavors, this dish makes a hearty main or nourishing side. Serve it warm or chilled. vegetarian or vegan
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
Servings 4 Servings
- 1 1/4 C Farro 250g
- 3 1/2 C Water 560g
- 4 Tbs Pesto* (for vegan option, see note) I use garlic scape pesto, but your favorite pesto will be delicious! 66g
- 3 Tbs Fresh Curly Parsley finely chopped and divided
- 1 Lemon zested and juiced, divided
- 1/2 tsp + 1/4 tsp Sea Salt divided
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper ground, divided
- 1 lb Fresh Asparagus cut into 1" pieces, woody ends discarded, 454g
- 1 C Peas shelled if fresh, (fresh or frozen will work here), 136g
- 2 Tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil 28g
- 1/4 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 Tbs Fresh Chives finely chopped
- Chive Flowers if available
Rinse the Farro under running water. In a medium saucepan add the Farro and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally. It will begin to thicken and become creamy.
To the cooked Farro, stir in the pesto, 2 Tbs of parsley, 1/2 the lemon zest and juice, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp ground black pepper. Stir well, taste for seasoning adjustment and set aside with lid on to keep warm.
For the veggies, fill a medium sauce pot or saute' pan with about 1/8" of water. Heat until little boiling bubbles appear around the edge of the pan. Turn heat to medium-low. Toss in the asparagus and peas. Give the pan a good shake, put a lid on it and set a timer for 4 minutes. The veggies will steam during this time and become tender-crisp. Drain immediately. Sprinkle veggies with 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, olive oil, red pepper flakes, and remaining lemon zest and juice. Give it a good stir. Taste for seasoning adjustment.
To plate, serve the veggies on top of the Farro, garnish with remaining parsley, chives and chive flowers. Serve warm, or chilled.
Refrigerate leftovers in the fridge for up to two days.