Tangy Lentil Sloppy Joes
Grab a fork, napkin and those tangy toppings, we're getting sloppy y'all! Freezer friendly Tangy Lentil Sloppy Joes are tender, slightly spicy and oh SO crave-worthy. Serve them up with your favorite tater tots, fries or potato salad. Vegan + Gluten Free
Servings 6 Servings
- 1 C (215g) French Lentils *see note
- 4 C (815g) Water
- 1 tsp Sea Salt divided
- 1 Tbs Coconut or Olive Oil unrefined, virgin
- 2 C (245g) Yellow Onion diced (about 1 medium onion)
- 2 C (230g) Green Bell Pepper diced (about 1 large pepper)
- 2 Large Cloves of Garlic minced
- 2 1/2 Tbs Chili Powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Smoky Paprika
- 3 Tbs Tomato Paste
- 1 1/2 C (426g) Tomato Sauce (1 Can)
- 1 Tbs Pickle Juice or other pickling brine like olive
- 2 tsp Vegan Worcestershire
- 3 Tbs Yellow Mustard
- 2-3 Tbs Maple Syrup or more to taste
Serve with (Optional):
- Hamburger Buns
- Pickles, Tabasco, quick pickled onions, jalapeños, extra mustard, coleslaw.
In a small sauce pot, add the lentils, water and 1/8 tsp salt. Bring to a boil, then turn down to low. Cook for about 20-22 minutes, or until tender. Drain the lentils. Set aside.
While the lentils are cooking, add the oil to a large saute pan and heat until shimmering. Add the onion and cook on low with 1/8 tsp salt for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the bell pepper during the last 7-8 minutes of cooking the onions and soften, stirring occasionally.
To the onion/pepper mixture add the garlic, chili powder, paprika and 3/4 tsp salt continuing to cook on low. Stir to coat the veggies. Add the tomato paste, sauce, pickle juice, Worcestershire, mustard and maple syrup. Stir to incorporate. Add the cooked lentils and stir again cooking on low for 5-10 minutes to warm through and to thicken a bit. Serve with warmed buns and condiments.
Store the sloppy joes in a lidded container for up to three days or freeze for up to two weeks.
*Look for organic French Lentils in the bulk bins. Bob's Red Mill also carries packaged heritage French Lentils, although not organic.
Nutrition below does not include buns or additional condiments.
Calories: 126kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 972mg | Potassium: 648mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 1905IU | Vitamin C: 76mg | Calcium: 68mg | Iron: 2mg