Moroccan Lentil Chickpea Stew
Simple ingredients and texture rich with mouth-watering flavors; Moroccan Lentil Chickpea Stew comes together in about 45 minutes. With a dollop of coconut cream, a sprinkle of cilantro and flatbread, dinner is ready! Freezer friendly. vegan or vegetarian + gluten free
Servings 5 - 6 Servings
- 1 Tbs Coconut Oil or Olive Oil
- 1 C Yellow Onion medium dice
- 1 3/4 tsp Cinnamon ground
- 3/4 tsp Cumin ground
- 1 1/4 tsp Coriander ground
- 1/2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes bump it up to 3/4 tsp for extra heat
- 1 1/2 tsp Fine Sea Salt
- 1 1/2 tsp Garlic Cloves microplaned (about 3 medium cloves)
- 2 C Vegetable Broth + more for a soupier stew
- 2 C Water
- 28 oz Can of Crushed Tomatoes
- 2 C Carrots Sliced in thin coins
- 1 C Dry, Uncooked French Lentils
- 1 1/2 C Cooked Chickpeas drained (one 15oz can)
- 1 Lemon
- Full Fat Coconut Milk (the canned variety) or Whole Milk Yogurt for Serving
In a large Dutch oven, add the coconut oil and heat until shimmering. Add the onions and saute for 10 minutes on medium-low. A little charring is okay.
Stir in the cinnamon, cumin, coriander, red pepper flakes and sea salt. Add the garlic. Stir until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
Pour in the broth, water, tomatoes, carrots, and lentils. Stir. Bring to a boil, then turn to medium low and simmer for 25 minutes. The stew will thicken as it cooks. Add the chickpeas and simmer for another 10 minutes or until the lentils are tender and chickpeas are cooked through. If a thinner stew is desired add more vegetable broth 1/2 C at a time. Remove from heat and squeeze 1/2 a lemon over the stew. Stir. Taste for salt adjustment.
Ladle into soup bowls then garnish with coconut cream, or yogurt and cilantro. For the coconut cream, open and scoop out the soft layer of fat on the top to dollop on the stew. Otherwise, a few scoops of rich coconut milk can be spooned over top. Serve with lemon wedges, coconut milk or a generous scoop of yogurt, and cilantro.
Moroccan Lentil Chickpea Stew freezes with ease. Store in a lidded container or containers for up to two weeks. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
I absolutely love this stew served with Naan or Flatbread.
Calories: 341kcal | Carbohydrates: 60g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 1335mg | Potassium: 1215mg | Fiber: 21g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 9183IU | Vitamin C: 34mg | Calcium: 142mg | Iron: 7mg