Slow Cooker Vegetarian Taco Soup
So easy to create a mouthwatering dinner and with minimal hands on time! Set it and forget it, Slow Cooker Vegetarian Taco Soup. Rich, thick and hearty, packed with warming spices, beans and corn. It's freezer friendly too! gluten free + easily vegan. Total Time: Low Setting = 7-8 hours | High Setting = 4-5 hours
Servings 5 - 6 Servings
- 1 1/2 C (300g) Dry Beans I use 1/2 C each: pinto, kidney and black
- 1 C (125g) Onion purple or yellow, medium dice, about one medium onion
- 2 C (250g) Corn Niblets fresh or frozen
- 1 Tbs Fresh Jalapeño minced, about 1/2 a large jalapeño. Adjust up or down to taste.
- 1 Tbs Fresh Garlic minced, about 3 large cloves
- 1, 15 oz (425g) Can of Tomato Sauce
- 1, 15 oz (411g) Can of Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- 2 Tbs Cumin ground
- 1 1/2 Tbs Chili Powder
- 3/4 tsp Smoky Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 2 tsp Fine Sea Salt
- 3 C (675g) Vegetable Broth
- 1 C (225g) Water
- 1 1/2 Tbs Masa Harina (optional) mixed with + 1/4 C (56g) water
- For Serving / Garnish: Avocado, jalapeño, cilantro, sour cream, diced onion and/or shredded cheddar
Pick through the beans picking out any shriveled beans or small stones. Rinse the dry beans and place them in the cook-pot of a slow cooker. To the beans add the onion, corn, jalapeño, garlic, tomato sauce, tomatoes, cumin, chili powder, paprika, black pepper, salt, broth and water. Stir throughly.
Set the slow cooker on high or low. Total Time: Low Setting = 7-8 hours | High Setting = 4-5 hours. The total cook time will depend on how fresh the dry beans are. The fresher the beans, the less time, the older (more dry), the longer the cook time. Keep an eye on the beans as they near the low end of the cook time and add more water if needed. The beans are done when they give under gentle bite pressure and are creamy on the inside.
(OPTIONAL): About 15 minutes before serving, mix the Masa Harina with hot water and pour into the soup. Stir. The soup will begin to thicken during the last minutes of cooking.
Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with any toppings you like: avocado, jalapeño, cilantro, sour cream, diced onions, or shredded cheddar.
Store in the refrigerator in a lidded container for up to three days or freeze for up to two weeks.
Calories: 329kcal | Carbohydrates: 64g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1315mg | Potassium: 1274mg | Fiber: 14g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 1960IU | Vitamin C: 17.7mg | Calcium: 130mg | Iron: 7.7mg