Black Eyed Pea Salad
Black Eyed Pea Salad Recipe is make ahead ready and packed with summer fresh veggies! Share this hearty salad as a side, lunch or appetizer; it's perfect as a light summer dinner. This recipe is vegetarian, vegan and gluten free. *See blog post above recipe card for serving suggestions. Time below does not include time to cook black eyed peas.
Servings 7 - 8 Servings
For the Salad:
- 2 1/4 C (375g) Black Eyed Peas cooked, drained, rinsed and cooled* (see note)
- 2 1/4 C (325g) Raw Corn Kernels from fresh corn, about two ears
- 1/2 C (90g) Green Bell Pepper diced small, about 1/2 pepper
- 1 C (180g) Red Bell Pepper diced small, about 1 pepper
- 1/2 C (75g) Purple Onion diced small, about 1/4 of a medium onion
- 1/4 C (50g) Prepared Green Chiles diced small, I like Hatch
- 1 Jalapeño seeded and white ribs removed** (see note)
- Fist Full of Fresh Cilantro stemmed removed, leaves chopped
- 2 1/2 C (400g) Cherry Tomatoes quartered, about 1 pint
- Fresh Ground Pepper to taste
For the Dressing:
- 2 Tbs Olive Oil
- 3 Tbs Red Wine Vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Whole Grain Spicy Mustard or Dijon Mustard
- 1 Tbs Fresh Garlic minced, about 1 large clove
- 1 tsp Salt or to taste
- 3/4 tsp Oregano dried
- 1/2 tsp Thyme dried
- 1/4 tsp Smoky Paprika hot or sweet
- Pinch of Cayenne Pepper optional - and for an added kick
In a large mixing bowl, add the peas, corn, green and red bell pepper, onion, jalapeño, chilis and cilantro. Set aside.
In a lidded jar add the vinegar, oil, mustard, garlic, salt, oregano, thyme, paprika and cayenne pepper. Shake well until emulsified.
Pour dressing over the salad and stir well to incorporate the ingredients. Fold in the tomatoes. Taste for seasoning adjustment and add in fresh ground pepper.
Make at least one hour ahead if possible so the flavors can marry. Share as a main, side or as a dip with corn chips! Store in a lidded container for up to three days. The flavor will improve as the salad rests.
*Finding canned black-eyed peas that do not contain added meat can be challenging. If using canned, I like Eden Organic. Sub 1, 15 oz (425g) can for this recipe.
To DIY Black Eyed Peas: Soak 3/4 C (150g) dried Black-Eyed Peas for at least two hours or overnight, and drain. In a Dutch oven, cover peas with 1" of water, add 1/2 tsp salt, bring to a boil, then turn heat down to low and cook for about 25-35 minutes. They need to be firm, not mushy, so begin testing for doneness at about 25 minutes. Drain and cool before adding to the salad.
**Heat of jalapeños vary. Be sure to test the pepper for heat prior to adding it to the salad. I usually add a whole pepper, but have had a few where they were just too hot! Trust your tastebuds!
Calories: 166kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 448mg | Potassium: 386mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 960IU | Vitamin C: 49mg | Calcium: 27mg | Iron: 2mg