Ginger Miso Soba Noodle Bowls with Wakame
Warming and cozy, Ginger Miso Soba Noodle Bowls with Wakame are so comforting and can be seasonally adapted by switching up the veggies. For example, use cabbage instead of bok choy. vegan + optionally gluten free
Servings 4 Servings
- 1 Bundle Soba Noodles** 76g
- 1 Tbs Sesame Oil
- 4 C Water 900g
- 1 1/2 tsp Fresh Ginger microplaned or finely minced
- 1 tsp Fresh Garlic microplaned or finely minced
- 1 Tbs Tamari or add to taste
- 1 tsp Sriracha
- 1 Tbs Wakame optional but recommended
- 2 C Fresh Cremini or Shiitake Mushrooms stemmed and quartered, 126g
- 2 Small Bok Choy chopped thin, greens and whites separated, 212g
- 3 Tbs White Miso Paste*
- 2 Medium Carrots julienne, 78g
- 1 C Sugar or Snow Peas sliced thin on the bias, 92g
- 2 Green Onions sliced thin on the bias.
- Sesame seeds
- Thai basil
Cook the soba noodles according to package directions (about 5 minutes). Drain well, rinse with cold water and drizzle with sesame oil. Set aside to cool.
In a medium sauce pot or Dutch oven, and on medium heat, add the water, ginger, and garlic. Whisk in tamari, and sriracha and bring just to a steam. Scoop out about 1/2 cup of broth and add the miso paste to the cup, stirring throughly so it dissolves completely. Set aside. To the sauce pot, add the wakame, mushrooms and white parts of the bok choy. Warm through on medium low for 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat and pour the miso broth into the sauce pot.
To the broth, stir in the soba noodles. Ladle into bowls and top each serving with the leaves of the bok choy, carrots, peas, and onions, then garnish as desired.
This recipe is best enjoyed fresh. I find the noodles to get a bit soggy if stored overnight in the broth. But it can be stored, broth and noodles in a lidded container, and toppings in a separate container for up to two days.
*Find white miso paste in the refrigerated section of the grocery store.
**I have difficulty finding 100% Buckwheat Soba noodles. But if you can source them, this meal can be made gluten free.
Calories: 149kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1082mg | Potassium: 1419mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 24187IU | Vitamin C: 208mg | Calcium: 487mg | Iron: 5mg