Cajun Stewed Black Eyed Peas and Greens
**Advance Prep Recommended** The dried black eyed peas should be soaked overnight, but there are other options (see notes!). Simple, saucy and over the top texture and flavor in Cajun Stewed Black Eyed Peas with Greens; a one pot meal! Be sure to soak those dried peas overnight. This recipe is vegetarian, vegan and gluten free. *See notes for using unsoaked peas and/or for cutting down on cook time using precooked or canned peas instead of dried (time below is for dried beans). There's a bit of overlap with prep and cook time in this recipe, so I lumped prep/cook all into one hour. The one hour time frame still allows time to whip up some rice or cornbread!
Servings 5 - 6 Servings
- 1 C (185g) Dried Black Eyed Peas soaked overnight, *see notes if using precooked black-eyed peas or if unsoaked dry peas
- 1 1/2 Tbs Coconut Oil or Olive Oil
- 1 C (120g) Red Onion about 1 medium
- 1 C (125g) Green Bell Pepper about 1 medium
- 1/2 C (75g) Celery about 2 sticks
- 1 Tbs Garlic minced, about 2 large cloves
- 1 Tbs Cajun Seasoning spice blend, add an additional 1/2 Tbs for extra spicy
- 1 tsp Fine Sea Salt
- 2 Tbs Tomato Paste
- 3 1/2 C (785g) Water
- 1 1/2 C (411g) Fire Roasted Tomatoes one can
- 4 C (220g) Collard Greens destemmed, chopped into bite size pieces and packed, about 1 bunch
- 3 C (275g) Okra fresh or frozen, if frozen this is 1, 10 oz bag
- 1/2 Lemon juiced
- Parsley chopped for garnish
*To reduce cook time: Use canned or precooked Slow Cooked Black-Eyed Peas in this recipe - about 2 C. The cook time can be reduced by about 40 minutes! After cooking the veggies and spices and adding only 1 C of water, stir in the cooked black eyed peas then continue with the recipe.
If Using Unsoaked Dry Black Eyed Peas: simply simmer the peas about 10 minutes longer, until tender, before adding the tomatoes, collards and okra.
Fresh or Frozen Okra? Use fresh or frozen okra in this recipe. If using frozen, be sure to sort out the tough ends and discard them.
Calories: 231kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 671mg | Potassium: 849mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 3147IU | Vitamin C: 60mg | Calcium: 207mg | Iron: 4mg