Lemon-Garlic White Bean, Kale and Fennel Soup
Quick to pull-together, hearty and nourishing. Enjoy Lemon-Garlic White Bean, Kale and Fennel Soup with a thick slice of crusty sourdough to make a cozy meal. vegan + gluten free
Servings 4 Servings
- 1 Tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 C (100g) Yellow Onion diced, about one medium
- 1 C (135g) Fennel Bulb* (see note) fronds trimmed and reserved, bulb sliced thin and chopped, about one large fennel
- 2-3 tsp Garlic minced, about 4-5 medium cloves (I like 3 tsp - but keep it milder with 2 tsp)
- 1/2 lb (215g) Bunch Lacinato or Dinosaur Kale stems removed, and chopped into bite size pieces (about 1 big bunch)
- 2 C (15oz / 425g) Cannellini Beans (aka white kidney beans) cooked, or one can, rinsed and drained
- 4 C (875g) Vegetable Broth** (see note)
- 1 C (237g) Water adjust up if a souper soup is desired
- 2 Lemons
- Sea Salt and Fresh Ground Pepper to taste
In a Dutch oven or medium stock pot, add the olive oil. Heat to shimmering and stir in the onions and fennel. Cook on medium low for about 8-9 minutes, stirring occasionally or until the onions and fennel have softened.
Add the garlic and kale, and a pinch of sea salt. Cook on medium low until the kale is wilted, stirring a few times, about 3 minutes.
Add the beans, broth and water, stirring gently so the beans don't break. Bring to a simmer, then turn to low. Cook to warm through about 5-10 minutes.
Finish with a squeeze of half a lemon, plenty of fresh ground pepper and fine sea salt to taste. Serve with more lemon and chopped fennel fronds.
*If purchasing a fennel bulb with the fronds in tact, you'll have a lot of fennel fronds left over. In my attempt to avoid food waste, I've been using the fennel leaves and stalks in my smoothies, a little at a time. Their flavor is mild and they add a host of nutritional benefits I'd otherwise miss!
**Have you tried Better Than Bullion Vegetable Base (not sponsored)? I absolutely love this concentrated vegetable broth. It's flavor is rich, has a long refrigerator life that doesn't take up too much space and it comes in glass jars (hooray! - my recycler doesn't take the cartons anyway!) and since it's concentrated there's less waste. Plus it's organic!
Calories: 175kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1171mg | Potassium: 501mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 6195IU | Vitamin C: 102.6mg | Calcium: 175mg | Iron: 3.3mg