Vegetarian Dirty Rice
Vegetarian Dirty Rice is inspired by the traditional Creole meat based recipe(s). This meat-free version relies on lentils and kidney beans for protein and texture while leaning on onion, bell pepper, celery and spices to bring out savory, umami filled flavors. Long grain brown rice ties all the ingredients together! This recipe is freezer friendly, vegetarian, vegan and easily gluten free. *Note there is a bit of overlap in cooking and prep time, so the total time edges closer to one hour.
Servings 6 Servings
- 6 C (1.3 kg) Water
- 1 C (204g) Long Grain Brown Rice
- 1/2 C (110g) French Lentils dry, uncooked
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 tsp Fine Sea Salt divided
- 3 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 C (120g) Green Bell Pepper diced small, about one medium
- 1 C (115g) Red or Yellow Onion diced small, about one medium
- 1/2 C (65g) Celery diced small, about 1 rib
- 2 Tbs Tomato Paste
- 2 Tbs Garlic about 3 large cloves, chopped fine or minced
- 1 Tbs Cajun Seasoning or Creole Seasoning, gluten free if needed
- 1 (425g) Can of Cooked Kidney Beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 tsp Liquid Smoke gluten free if needed
- 1-2 tsp Vegan Worcestershire Sauce gluten free if needed
- Fresh Lemon Juice
- Chopped Fresh Parsley, and Chopped Chives or Green Onion. for serving
Cook the Rice and Lentils
In a 4 quart sauce pot bring the water to a boil. Add the rice, lentils, bayleaf and 1/2 tsp salt. Bring back to a boil, turn heat down to medium and lid, leaving lid slightly ajar. Simmer for 30-35 minutes or until the rice and lentils are tender. Drain, reserving at least 1 1/4 C (281g) of cooking liquid (it will be used later to make the sauce). Place the rice and lentils back in their cooking pot, lid and set aside off heat.
Cook the Veggies
*A note about the veggies. Be sure they're diced small, otherwise they'll be crunchyish at the end of cooking. We're looking for them to be soft. In a large, heavy saucepan with 3" sides (7.5cm), add the oil and heat until shimmering. Add the bell pepper, onion and celery. Turn the heat to low. Stir. Cook, stirring occassionally for about 12-15 minutes. The veggies are done when the they're tender/soft and brown bits (fond - pronounced fahn – the brown bits that stick to the bottom of the pan) are just starting to appear in the pan.
Add the Spices and Beans
To the pan of veggies, add the tomato paste, garlic, Cajun or Creole seasoning and remaining 1/2 tsp salt. Stir for about 30 seconds, coating the veggies. Pour in 3/4 C (180g) of the reserved cooking liquid from the lentils and rice. Stir. To the pan, add the drained kidney beans. Stir. Heat should be on medium-low to low. Lid the pan and gently cook the beans through for about 8-10 minutes. Check on the beans a few times while cooking and If needed, add just a bit more cooking liquid from the reserved liquid. Your beans should be saucy, and moist, not dry.
Serving: 6Servings | Calories: 313kcal | Carbohydrates: 56g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 467mg | Potassium: 558mg | Fiber: 13g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 786IU | Vitamin C: 26mg | Calcium: 65mg | Iron: 4mg