Greek Pita Sandwiches
Stuffed with spinach, olives, cucumbers, tomatoes, feta and with a garlicky lemon vinaigrette, these Greek Pita Sandwiches are easy to pull together. Add a schmear of your favorite hummus (optional) for a hearty pita bread sandwich! This recipe is vegetarian and easily vegan.
Servings 4 Stuffed Pitas
For the Pitas:
- 2, 7" - 8" Pitas cut in half
- 2 1/2 C (55g) Spinach packed then chopped into small ribbons.
- 3/4 C (115g) Cucumber sliced in 1/4" rounds, then quartered, about 1/2 a medium cucumber
- 1/3 C (60g) Kalamata Olives pitted and quartered
- 1 Tbs Purple Onion chopped fine
- 1/2 pint (170g) Cherry Tomatoes quartered or 2 Roma tomatoes sliced thin and in half, add more to taste
- 1/3 C (50g) Feta leave off or sub dairy free if needed
- 4-6 Leaves of Fresh Basil torn into small pieces
- 5-6 Grinds of Black Pepper
- 3/4 C (375g) Prepared Hummus (optional)* see note
For the Dressing:
In a small lidded mason jar, add the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, oregano and salt. Shake until emulsified. Set aside.
For the Salad:
Into a large bowl, transfer the chopped spinach, cucumber, olives, onion, tomatoes, feta if using and basil. Add a few twists of black pepper, then pour the dressing over the salad, holding out just a bit - adding more to taste. Gently toss. Taste for seasoning adjustment and add more dressing and salt and pepper if desired.
To Assemble the Pitas:
*See note about warming the pitas (optional).Open a pita half and schmear a generous portion of hummus (optional) on one side (the heavy side). Using tongs, gently stuff the pita with salad. Garnish with more basil if desired. Share right away or wrap snugly in parchment paper and hold in the fridge for just a few hours - any longer and they tend to get a little soggy.
*While hummus is not considered to have originated in Greece, it’s a delicious addition to Greek flavors in this Pita. The hummus is optional.
To soften the pitas a bit, I like to warm them prior to sharing. Wrap in foil and bake in a preheated 350F (180C) oven for about 8-12 minutes, just until slightly warm.
Recipe inspired by Vegetarian Sandwiches
Serving: 1, 1/2 Pita | Calories: 284kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 11mg | Sodium: 636mg | Potassium: 420mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 2197IU | Vitamin C: 22mg | Calcium: 118mg | Iron: 3mg