vegetarian & vegan
Smoky, spicy and sweet, these Vegetarian Baked Beans start with a base of slow roasted caramelized onion, carrot and garlic, then BBQ sauce and fire roasted tomatoes are added to make up this saucy, mouthwatering recipe.
– Soak dry beans overnight, or at least 8 hours, making sure water covers the beans. Drain, rinse and cook the beans.
– Preheat oven. In a medium baker, roasting pan or Dutch oven, add the onion, carrots, garlic and other ingredients. Stir. Roast until the carrots are tender.
– To the onion mixture, add the cooked beans, fire-roasted tomatoes, and BBQ sauce. Stir.
– Bake, uncovered, until bubbly and the sauce has thickened. Allow to rest before sharing.
– Store leftovers in a covered container. When reheating, add additional BBQ sauce or water to thin the beans as they tend to thicken.