Vegetarian Dirty Rice is inspired by the traditional Creole meat based recipe(s). This meat-free version relies on lentils and kidney beans for protein and texture while leaning on onion, bell pepper, celery and spices to bring out savory, umami filled flavors.
– Put the lentils and rice on to cook.
– Saute the onions, celery and bell pepper until soft.
– To the onions, celery and bell pepper, stir in the spices, tomato paste and garlic.
– To the pan, stir in the reserved rice/lentil cooking liquid to deglaze the pan. Stir in the cooked kidney beans. Lid and simmer.
– To the saucy bean mixture, stir in the lentils and rice.
– Squeeze a bit of lemon over the finished recipe, stir, taste for salt and sprinkle chopped parsley and green onions or scallions over the top.