Lightly sweetened, maple oat sourdough sandwich bread features whole rolled oats and whole wheat flour. It has a soft tender crumb and earthy flavor, ideal for sammies and toast! This recipe is vegetarian and vegan friendly.
– Add the oats to a small bowl and pour the water over them. Set aside.
– Whisk the starter, milk, maple syrup and oil together in a large bowl. Add the flours and salt. First, mix with a fork, the dough will be shaggy. Then mix by hand. Use the fork to scrape off the dough on your fingers.
After the dough has rested, mix in the soaker. Cover bowl with a damp tea towel and allow the dough to rest.
After the dough has rested, fold the dough. Optimally, you'll want to repeat this fold two more times.
– After the last fold, cover the bowl with a damp towel and allow to rise overnight at room temperature.
– Shape the dough in the morning. If there's any misshapen edges, use a moist rubber spatula to shape the edges of the dough down into the pan.
– Cover the pan with a damp tea towel and allow the dough to rise. The amount of time will vary depending on ambient temperature.
Bake the dough: lightly spritz the top of your loaf with water and sprinkle Rolled oats over the top. Place the loaf into the oven, reduce the oven temperature. Bake. When done, transfer to a wire rack. Cool in the pan, then transfer to a cooling rack. Cool before slicing.