Apple packed, lightly spiced and sweetened, this Apple Pie is gluten free and vegan, but you’d never know it.
– Whisk the nut milk and apple cider vinegar together in a spouted measuring cup. Set aside to rest.
– In a food processor, add the gluten free flour, tapioca flour, sugar, and salt. Pulse to combine. Add the solid coconut oil and pulse until chunky. Add the nut milk mixture and process.
– Dump the dough out onto a large piece of parchment paper. Shape into a smooth thick disk, then divide in half. Shape again.
– Peel, core and slice the apples. Toss the apples with the sugars, bourbon if using, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, vanilla paste or vanilla extract, and lemon juice.
– Place the apples and juices into a large stock pot and cook. Remove from heat and gently stir in the corn starch.
– Pour the apples and all their juices onto a parchment lined sheet pan and spread the apples into an even layer. Place in the freezer.
– While the apples are cooling, roll up the pastry. Crimp the edges into a pretty shape. Set aside at room temperature while you roll out the top crust.
– Strain the apples, pour and arrange them in the pastry lined pie plate. Gently lift the pastry cut outs with an offset spatula, and arrange on top of the apples. Place the pie in the freezer.
– Bake the pie on a preheated parchment lined sheet pan. Once done, cool it completely before cutting or covering it. Enjoy!