Moroccan Butternut Squash Chickpea Stew
A warming stew for those busy weeknights, Moroccan Butternut Squash Chickpea Stew is simple to pull together. Share simply or with couscous, naan and a dollop of Greek yogurt or coconut cream! vegetarian or vegan + gluten free
Servings 5 - 6 Servings
- 2 tsp Coconut Oil unrefined
- 1 C (120g) Yellow Onion medium dice
- 1 3/4 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 1/4 tsp Ground Corriander
- 1/4 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 1/2 tsp fine Sea Salt
- 1 1/2 tsp Minced Garlic about 2 small cloves
- 2 C (455g) Vegetable Broth
- 1 C (247g) Water or more for soupier stew
- 1, 28 oz (793g) Can of Crushed Tomatoes
- 2 C (220g) Carrots sliced into coins, about 3 medium carrots
- 2 1/2 C (355g) Butternut Squash peeled, seeded and cut into bite size pieces, about 1 small butternut
- 1, 15 oz (425g) Can of Chickpeas about 2 C, drained and rinsed
- Fresh Lemon
For Serving (optional):
- Lemon Wedges
- Full Fat Coconut Milk or Greek Yogurt
- Cilantro or Microgreens
- Naan and/or Couscous
In a large Dutch oven, add the coconut oil and heat until shimmering. Add the onions and saute for 10 minutes on medium-low. A little charring is okay.
Stir in the cinnamon, cumin, coriander, red pepper flakes and sea salt. Add the garlic. Stir until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
Pour in the broth, water, tomatoes, carrots, and butternut squash. Stir. Bring to a boil, then turn to medium low and simmer for 25 minutes or until the butternut is tender. The stew will thicken as it cooks. Add the chickpeas and simmer for another 5 minutes or until the chickpeas are warmed through. If a thinner stew is desired add more vegetable broth 1/2 C at a time. Remove from heat and squeeze 1/2 a lemon over the stew. Stir. Taste for salt adjustment.
Ladle into soup bowls then garnish with coconut cream, or yogurt and cilantro or microgreens. For the coconut cream, scoop out the soft layer of fat on the top to dollop on the stew. Otherwise, a few scoops of rich coconut milk can be spooned over top. Serve with lemon wedges and naan, pita or couscous.
This stew freezes with ease. Store in a lidded container or containers for up to two weeks. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
Recipe adapted from my Moroccan Lentil Chickpea Stew.
Calories: 282kcal | Carbohydrates: 54g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 1341mg | Potassium: 1186mg | Fiber: 14g | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 16601IU | Vitamin C: 37mg | Calcium: 169mg | Iron: 6mg