A warming stew for busy evenings, Moroccan Butternut Squash Chickpea Stew is easy to pull together. Like my Moroccan Lentil Chickpea Stew, share this recipe simply or with couscous, naan and a dollop of Greek yogurt or coconut cream! This recipe is vegetarian or vegan and gluten free. [ watch recipe VIDEO on the recipe card below ]
Table of Contents
Always Reliable Butternut Chickpea Stew
What is it about soup/stew that checks all the boxes? Hearty, better the next day and freezer friendly. Too, I find soup and stews to be the easiest of recipes to make. And especially this time of year when time seems so short. It’s cold and dark out anyway and we just want something quick, hearty and nourishing.
Enter Moroccan Butternut Chickpea Stew! Warming spices, sweet butternut, hearty chickpeas in a tomato rich broth to the rescue. Dollop with rich Greek yogurt or coconut cream/yogurt and share with a side of couscous, Sourdough Pita Bread or naan. Dinner is done!
Ingredients for this Vegetarian Moroccan Stew
Simple ingredients produce the most mouthwatering flavors. Cinnamon highlights the sweet notes of carrots and butternut while tomatoes, onion and broth, with a hint of spice, balance savory flavors. Here’s what you’ll need to make it:
- Coconut Oil or other neutral oil
- Cinnamon, Cumin, Coriander – ground spices
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Veggie Broth – I like Better Than Bullion Vegetable Broth concentrate brand.
- Crushed Tomatoes – I like Muir Glen brand
- Butternut Squash – about one small squash. honey nut is also quite nice
- Chickpeas – home cooked or canned
Quick Guide: How to Make Moroccan Butternut Chickpea Stew
This vegetarian and vegan chickpea stew is texture rich with warm, earthy flavors. It’s simple to pull together, and in one pot to help make cleanup a breeze. I usually pair this Moroccan stew with a simple salad and flatbread or couscous, but it’s hearty enough all on its own. In summary, here’s how to make the stew (see recipe card for details):
- First, in a large Dutch oven or soup pot, add the coconut oil and heat until shimmering. Add the onions and saute until softened.
- Second, stir in the aromatic spices like cinnamon, cumin, coriander, and red pepper flakes, then add the garlic. Take a deep inhale of deliciousness.
- Next, pour in the broth, water, tomatoes, carrots, and butternut squash. Stir. Bring to a simmer. Turn to medium low and simmer for 25 minutes, then stir in the chickpeas and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Last, remove from heat and squeeze 1/2 a lemon over the stew.
Top with Greek yogurt or coconut cream, and cilantro or microgreens (sooo good!).
A Few Recipe Notes
- While there seems to be a lot of cinnamon in this hearty vegan chickpea stew, 1 3/4 tsp, it balances out the warming spices and heat of the pepper flakes. It adds just a touch of sweet and a bit interest.
- Freezer friendly? Yes please! Moroccan chickpea stew is even better the next day making it suitable for meal prep. It can also be frozen for several weeks. Freeze in jars or individual containers (for lunches) and thaw overnight in the fridge.
- For a thinner stew, add a 1/2 C of additional vegetable broth after adding the chickpeas towards the end of cooking.
- Sourdough Pita Bread or Flatbread/naan makes a sumptuous vehicle for scooping up this rich chickpea stew. Or, share with a bit of couscous to stretch this meal further!
More Vegetarian (and Vegan) Stew/Soup Recipes to Love
- Hoppin John Stew
- Smoky White Bean and Kale Wheat Berry Stew
- Lentil Mushroom Cabbage Roll Soup
- Vegetarian Slow Cooker Taco Soup
- Thai Roasted Carrot and Golden Beet Soup – by Floating Kitchen
- Lentil and Kale Soup – by Green Valley Kitchen
Moroccan Butternut Squash Chickpea Stew Recipe
- 2 tsp Coconut Oil unrefined
- 1 C (120g) Yellow Onion medium dice
- 1 3/4 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 1/4 tsp Ground Corriander
- 1/4 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 1/2 tsp Fine Sea Salt
- 1 1/2 tsp Minced Garlic about 2 small cloves
- 2 C (455g) Vegetable Broth
- 1 C (247g) Water or more for soupier stew
- 1, 28 oz (793g) Can of Crushed Tomatoes
- 2 C (220g) Carrots sliced into coins, about 3 medium carrots
- 2 1/2 C (355g) Butternut Squash peeled, seeded and cut into bite size pieces, about 1 small butternut
- 1, 15 oz (425g) Can of Chickpeas about 2 C, drained and rinsed
- Fresh Lemon
For Serving (optional):
- Lemon Wedges
- Full Fat Coconut Milk or Greek Yogurt
- Cilantro or Microgreens
- Naan and/or Couscous
- In a large Dutch oven, add the coconut oil and heat until shimmering. Add the onions and saute for 10 minutes on medium-low. A little charring is okay.
- Stir in the cinnamon, cumin, coriander, red pepper flakes and sea salt. Add the garlic. Stir until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Pour in the broth, water, tomatoes, carrots, and butternut squash. Stir. Bring to a boil, then turn to medium low and simmer for 25 minutes or until the butternut is tender. The stew will thicken as it cooks. Add the chickpeas and simmer for another 5 minutes or until the chickpeas are warmed through. If a thinner stew is desired add more vegetable broth 1/2 C at a time. Remove from heat and squeeze 1/2 a lemon over the stew. Stir. Taste for salt adjustment.
- Ladle into soup bowls then garnish with coconut cream, or yogurt and cilantro or microgreens. For the coconut cream, scoop out the soft layer of fat on the top to dollop on the stew. Otherwise, a few scoops of rich coconut milk can be spooned over top. Serve with lemon wedges and naan, Sourdough Pita Bread or couscous.