An all purpose, dairy-free Mexican food delight. Chili-Lime Pepita Crema; dollop, dip or spread for all your Mexican food cravings! This recipe is vegetarian, vegan and gluten free.
Inspired Chile Crema
When I first had the inspiration to make this recipe, I didn’t realize it would be something I’d make over and over again, have it in the freezer or ready to go in the refrigerator so I can use it at a moments notice when Mexican food cravings strike – they never go away – who am I kidding?! It has become a non negotiable refrigerator staple, like mustard, mayo, eggs and Cashew Milk.
I first shared Chili-Lime Pepita Crema with Tofu Tacos recipe a few years back that has become a blog favorite, but I wanted to give this condiment its own space, title and page. I’ve found it to be a tasty, dairy-free replacement (most of the time) for my love of sour cream in Mexican food. I love it so much (I know, very corny), that I created this post specifically for it.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I do and dip, dollop and spread it on all things Mexican food. Enjoy it simply too with tortilla chips. It’s quick to whip up and so versatile!
A Few Recipe Notes
- You’ll need a high speed blender (I use VitaMix) to whip this up for a silky smooth texture. I’ve attempted making Chili-Lime Pepita Crema in the food processor and while the flavor is good, the texture is off.
- Adjust the spicy to taste. I find that six pickled jalapeño rings create a spicy yet tolerable heat level. If you prefer, adjust to taste.
- Sub one chipotle pepper in adobo sauce for the pickled jalapeño rings for a smoky/spicy flavor. The vibrant green color will be lost, but the flavor is fantastic!
- This condiment is versatile. Use it as a dip, dollop or spread as a side for all your Mexican food recipes. A little bit goes a long way!
What to Dollop or Slather On!
- Tofu Tacos
- Cauliflower Tacos
- Mexican Black Bean Quinoa
- Creamy Corn, Zucchini and Poblano Tacos
- Rancheros Tofu Scramble
- Tofu Enchiladas
- Sweet Potato Wrapped Black Bean Enchiladas
Chili-Lime Pepita Crema Recipe
- 1 C (160g) Raw Pepitas soaked over night or in very hot water for 10 minutes, drained
- 3 Tbs Fresh Lime Juice
- 6-8 Pickled Jalapeño Rings or more to taste (sub one chipotle pepper in adobo sauce if desired)
- 1/2 tsp Cumin ground
- 1/2 tsp Smoky Paprika
- 1 tsp Fine Sea Salt
- 1 Fist Full of Cilantro stems and leaves
- 3/4 C (385g) Water
- Place the pepitas, lime juice, jalapeños, cumin, paprika, sea salt, cilantro and water into a high speed blender (I use VitaMix) and blend on the puree cycle or medium high, scraping the container down several times to create a smooth puree. Place in a bowl for serving or storage container.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to five days or freeze for up to a month. If freezing, thaw in the refrigerator overnight and whisk or reblend to create a smooth texture.