An all purpose, dairy-free Mexican food delight. Make Chili-Lime Pepita Crema in your high speed blender for the tastiest dollop, dip or spread and for all your Mexican food cravings! This recipe is vegetarian, vegan and gluten free.
Table of Contents
Inspired Chile Crema
When I first had the inspiration to make this recipe, I didn’t realize it would be something I’d make over and over again, have it in the freezer or ready to go in the refrigerator so I can use it at a moments notice when Mexican food cravings strike – they never go away – who am I kidding?! It has become a non negotiable refrigerator staple, like mustard, mayo, eggs and Cashew Milk.
I first shared Chili-Lime Pepita Crema with Tofu Tacos recipe a few years back that has become a blog favorite, but I wanted to give this condiment its own space, title and page. I’ve found it to be a tasty, dairy-free replacement (most of the time) for my love of sour cream in Mexican food. I love it so much (I know, very corny), that I created this post specifically for it.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I do and dip, dollop and spread it on all things Mexican food. Enjoy it simply too with tortilla chips. It’s quick to whip up and so versatile!
A Few Recipe Notes
- You’ll need a high speed blender (I use VitaMix) to whip this up for a silky smooth texture. I’ve attempted making Chili-Lime Pepita Crema in the food processor and while the flavor is good, the texture is off.
- Adjust the spicy to taste. I find that six pickled jalapeño rings create a spicy yet tolerable heat level. If you prefer, adjust to taste.
- Sub one chipotle pepper in adobo sauce for the pickled jalapeño rings for a smoky/spicy flavor. The vibrant green color will be lost, but the flavor is fantastic!
- This condiment is versatile. Use it as a dip, dollop or spread as a side for all your Mexican food recipes. A little bit goes a long way!
What to Dollop or Slather On!
- Sweet Potato and Black Bean Tacos
- Tofu Tacos
- Cauliflower Tacos
- Mexican Black Bean Quinoa
- Creamy Corn, Zucchini and Poblano Tacos
- Rancheros Tofu Scramble
- Tofu Enchiladas
- Sweet Potato Wrapped Black Bean Enchiladas
Chili-Lime Pepita Crema Recipe
- 1 C (160g) Raw Pepitas soaked over night or in very hot water for 10 minutes, drained
- 3 Tbs Fresh Lime Juice
- 6-8 Pickled Jalapeño Rings or more to taste (sub one chipotle pepper in adobo sauce if desired)
- 1/2 tsp Cumin ground
- 1/2 tsp Smoky Paprika
- 1 tsp Fine Sea Salt
- 1 Fist Full of Cilantro stems and leaves
- 3/4 C (385g) Water
- Place the pepitas, lime juice, jalapeños, cumin, paprika, sea salt, cilantro and water into a high speed blender (I use VitaMix) and blend on the puree cycle or medium high, scraping the container down several times to create a smooth puree. Place in a bowl for serving or storage container.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to five days or freeze for up to a month. If freezing, thaw in the refrigerator overnight and whisk or reblend to create a smooth texture.