Salty, tart, slightly smoky and sweet with a bit of fizz: a fresh margarita – Mezcal Margarita Fizz comes together quick and is fabulous served alongside your favorite Mexican food.
Table of Contents
Having just returned from vacation in Costa Rica, I did indulge in happy hour fresh margaritas. I reserved those for the few afternoons spent lounging by the pool. I didn’t overdo it though. I wanted to preserve my energy for other pursuits like paddling down the Rio Frio and hiking in the jungle looking for birds, sloths, bats, caiman, and monkeys.
We found all of them and more!
The food, culture, wildlife and beauty of this rugged country captured our hearts. What a dream! Have you been? I’ve more to share about the trip in a few upcoming posts, but until then, let’s talk margaritas!
A Fresh Margarita
For this fresh Mezcal Margarita Fizz, I kept it basic. In it’s simplicity, Mezcal is a special tequila with smoky notes derived by the way Mezcal is crafted. In part, the process of roasting agave hearts, the piñas, with mesquite wood yields a unique smoky characteristic in this spirit. But because it’s only a part of this cocktail, the smoky flavors are sublimely subtle.
Since I love fizzy libations, I topped this margarita with a bit of bubbly club soda.
Enjoy With These Vegetarian Mexican Food Recipes
A Few Recipe Notes
- Add simple syrup to taste or none at all (recipe in notes). Agave nectar may be used instead of simple.
- Fresh lime is a must in homemade margaritas! Before squeezing the juice, roll the lime on the kitchen counter to loosen up the juices.
- To make ahead or for a larger batch, mix all the ingredients except the club soda and ice. Store in a lidded jar in the refrigerator until ready for use. When ready to serve, prepare glasses, lime garnish, pour into ice filled glasses then top with club soda.
More Margarita Recipes to Try
Mezcal Margarita Fizz Recipe
For One Serving:
- 1 1/4 oz (35g) Silver Tequila (blanco or white)
- 1/2 oz (14g) Mezcal I like Mezcal Creyente
- 3/4 oz (21g) Cointreau
- 1 oz (28g) Fresh Lime Juice about 1 - 2 limes
- 1/4 oz (7g) Simple Syrup optional / to taste - see notes for recipe*
- Club Soda to top off
For Four Servings:
- 5 oz (140g) Silver Tequila (blanco or white)
- 2 oz (56g) Mezcal I like Mezcal Creyente
- 3 oz (84g) Cointreau
- 4 oz (112g) Fresh Lime Juice
- 1 oz (28g) Simple Syrup optional / to taste - see notes for recipe*
- Club Soda to top off
- To a cocktail shaker or cocktail mixing glass add the tequila, mezcal, cointreau, lime juice, and simple (if using). Top with ice and stir/shake. Taste for simple adjustment. For the rim, mix the sea salt and cane sugar together in a small shallow dish. Rim a low-ball glass with lime, then dip into salt/sugar mixture. Fill the glass with ice and strain the cocktail mixture into the glass. Top with club soda and garnish with lime wheel.