Versatile, make ahead easy and freezer friendly. Serve ricotta dip with the freshest veggies and bits of crusty sourdough or crackers. Pesto-Spinach Whipped Ricotta Dip or spread whips up in no time flat for easy entertaining. vegetarian + gluten free
Having snacks on the ready means pulling together an impromptu, lets meet for cocktails on the porch or a last minute picnic in no time at all. I love the ease of this.
Just about any appetizer that has a long refrigerator life has my attention, like this pesto dip. Freezer friendly? All the better! Preparing chilled appetizers like dips, spreads or toppings for crostini ahead of time during busy weekends is especially convenient. And this whipped ricotta dip fits my idea of easy.
In the kitchen, the food processor is one of my most used tools for chopping, dicing and whipping up all the things, especially quick appetizers and snacks. It brings this ricotta dip together with ease. Simply toss all the ingredients into the work-bowl, and 45 seconds later, a creamy, lemony, garlicky whipped ricotta dip emerges.
Share with any favorite in season veggies like carrots, celery, cucumber, or endive for dipping. A little bread on the side in the form of crunchy crostini or several days old sourdough sliced thin and toasted is a welcome vehicle for scooping or spreading this creamy ricotta dip.
A Few Whipped Ricotta Dip Recipe Notes:
- Pesto-spinach whipped ricotta dip can be frozen (!!) for up to a month. Simply thaw in the refrigerator overnight and rewhisk or whip before serving.
- I’ve included a full and half recipe below. I usually end up making a full batch and freezing half for later.
- The garlic… the GARLIC! If you loooove garlic, add up to 4 cloves in the full 3 cup batch.
- Pesto? Use your favorite variety. I love garlic scape or basil. The color is brighter green when using basil (garlic scape shown here). Pesto dip anyone?
- If homemade ricotta is preferred, Rafaella shows us how.
More Ricotta Appetizer Love:
- Grilled Snap Pea and Whipped Ricotta Toast – Floating Kitchen
- Strawberry Ricotta Brushetta – Foolproof Living
- Heirloom Tomato and Ricotta Tart (gluten free) – Salted Plains
Pesto-Spinach Whipped Ricotta Dip
So versatile, make ahead easy and freezer friendly. Serve with the freshest veggies and crusty bread or crackers. Pesto-Spinach Whipped Ricotta Dip whips up in no time flat for easy entertaining. vegetarian + gluten free
For 3 Cups (690g):
- 1/4 C (40g) Pine Nuts or Almonds for garnish, optional
- 16 oz (453g) Whole Milk Ricotta I like con latte
- 2 1/2 C (100g) Fresh Spinach packed
- 1/2 C (125g) Pesto choose your favorite! I like basil or garlic scape
- 2-3 tsp Fresh Garlic grated, or 3-4 cloves of garlic (go for 4 if you loove garlic!)
- 3/4 tsp Sea Salt
- 3/4 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 3/4 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1/2 Lemon Zest and Juice
- Fresh Ground Pepper
For 1 1/2 Cups (345g):
- 2 Tbs Pine Nuts or Almonds for garnish, optional
- 8 oz (227g) Whole Milk Ricotta I like con latte
- 1 1/4 C (50g) Fresh Spinach packed
- 1/4 C (75g) Pesto choose your favorite! I like basil or garlic scape
- 1-2 tsp Fresh Garlic grated, or 2-3 cloves of garlic (go for 3 if you loove garlic!)
- 1/4 + 1/8 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/4 + 1/8 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/4 + 1/8 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Lemon Zest
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice
- Fresh Ground Pepper
If using nuts for the garnish - this is completely optional, preheat oven to 350F (180C) and toast the pine nuts for about 9-12 minutes (almonds for 12-14 minutes) or until golden and fragrant. If using almonds, give em' a good chop after they've cooled.
To the bowl of a food processor, add the ricotta, spinach, pesto, garlic, salt, pepper flakes, oregano, lemon zest and juice, and a few grinds of fresh ground pepper. Process until the spinach is finely chopped and ingredients are smooth and creamy, about 45 seconds, scraping down the bowl once while processing.
Serve chilled or right away with fresh veggies, mini sourdough toasts, or crackers. Store in a lidded container for up to three days or freeze for up to a month. Whisk the ricotta after thawing as it tends to clump, but it'll rewhip beautifully.