Over the top, Perfect Chocolate Espresso Cupcakes for any occasion. Ultra rich, smooth and slightly addicting.
Hershey’s developed this fantastic chocolate cake and I’m not one to typically mess with perfection. But, I did.
I’ve been baking this rich, chocolate cake for years, with good, consistent results. But after learning that coffee enhances the flavor of chocolate, I just had to mess with perfection. The espresso takes this cake to a new level of richness and makes the chocolate even bolder.
This recipe IS for the chocolate lover. It is rich, decadent and will leave you wanting another and another. I use unsweetened dutch cocoa in this recipe. However, if you prefer a more mellow cake, but still with good chocolate flavor, use natural, unsweetened cocoa powder.
If a two layer cake is more of what you are looking for, instead of cupcakes, use two 9″ cake pans for this recipe. Just bake the cake for 30-35 minutes instead of the 25 minutes the cupcakes require. Be sure to spray your pan, line with parchment and spray with oil again. This will ensure an easy release.
Have fun with the icing! This is the joy of cupcakes! I used a large closed star tip, like the one in this set to make my rosette. Cupcakes can be garnished with so many different things. I like to add cocoa nibs which give an added layer of texture. But I’ve also used shaved chocolate, chocolate jimmies, sprinkles or nothing at all! Whatever you top your cupcakes with, have fun!
- 2 C Sugar (15 3/4 oz)
- 1 3/4 C Whole Wheat Unbleached White Flour (10 1/4 oz)* see note
- 3/4 C Unsweetened Dutch Process Cocoa (3 1/4 oz)
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking Soda (1/4 oz)
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder (1/4 oz)
- 1 tsp Salt (1/4 oz)
- 1/2 C Coconut Oil, Melted and Cooled (4 oz)
- 2 Large Eggs at Room Temperature
- 1 C Milk at Room Temperature (8 oz)
- 3 tsp Vanilla Extract (1/8 oz)
- 1/2 C Boiling Water (4 oz)**See Note
- 1/2 C Espresso or Strong Coffee (4 oz)
- 2 Sticks of Unsalted Butter at Room Temperature (8 oz)
- 2/3 C Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa (2 oz)
- 2 1/2 C Powder Sugar (8 5/8 oz)
- 1 Tbs Vanilla Extract (1/8 oz)
- 1/4 C + 2 TBS Milk at Room Temperature (3 oz)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add sugar to a mixing bowl of a stand mixer. Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt into the sugar bowl. Whisk, and set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs, oil, milk and vanilla. Add this mixture to the sugar/flour mixture of the stand mixer bowl. Using the paddle attachment, mix the ingredients on low just until incorporated, about 30 seconds.
- With mixer off, pour in the espresso and boiling water. Mix by hand until all ingredients are incorporated. A few lumps are ok. The batter will be runny. Let batter rest for 5 minutes.
- Line muffin pan with cupcake cups. Fill each cup to 3/4 full. Use a #20 ice cream scoop to make portioning a snap! One scoop per cup. Or, fill each cup 3/4 full, about 3 Tbs. Bake cupcakes for 25 minutes (but start checking for doneness at 22 minutes using the toothpick test).
- Once out of the oven cool cupcakes, in pan, on a cooling rack for 10 minutes. Then remove from pan and let cool completely before icing.
- In a stand mixer, using a paddle attachment, cream the butter until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- While the butter is creaming, sift together the powder sugar and cocoa powder. Once the butter is creamed, add the sifted cocoa and sugar alternatively first with all of the vanilla extract, then with 2-3 TBS of milk at a time reserving the last two TBS for consistency adjustment. The icing should be spreadable, not too stiff or loose.
The cupcakes will keep, in a covered container for about 3 days.
*Unbleached white flour may also be used instead of Whole Wheat White, but the texture will be slightly different.
**Omit the water and use 1 C of very hot strong coffee for a BIG bold espresso flavored cupcake!
Adapted from Hershey's
If you make this recipe, or any others on Vanilla And Bean, be sure to post it to Instagram and tag #VanillaAndBean! I’d love to see what you’ve made! Also, if you like my content, please consider sharing it with three friends and/or family. Thank you!