Rich, creamy, dairy-free, this cashew milk easy to make and it needs no straining (a triumph!)! This Homemade Cashew Milk Recipe is my go-to milk for every day, perfect to enjoy alone or in sweet and savory recipes. This recipe is vegetarian, vegan and gluten free.
How Do You Feel About Nut Milk?
I’ve been playing around with a few different homemade nut milks, and so far, this cashew nut milk recipe has my attention. I tried almond milk, but could never figure out what to do with all the leftover pulp. Even trying to use the pulp in smoothies and brownies, it just didn’t work for me. And I can’t bear the thought of composting or throwing it out.
This cashew milk recipe is simple to whip up, perfect for everyday, is creamy, has a neutral flavor and is so creamy and rich.You’re going to love it!
Quick Guide: How to Make Cashew Milk
Quick to whip up with just a bit of planning, here’s how to make this cashew milk recipe (see recipe card below for details):
- First, soak the cashews in very hot water for up to 15 minutes (for quick cashew milk), or soak overnight.
- Second, rinse and drain the cashews.
- Next, transfer the cashews to a high speed blender, pour in the water and any other inclusions (sweetener, vanilla, cinnamon…) if using.
- Last, blend on high speed for about 30 seconds until smooth and creamy.
Although I’ve not experienced this Vitamix, if you find your cashew milk still has some chunks, strain the solids out using a nut milk bag, cheese cloth or other fine strainer. Transfer to a Mason jar or other storage container and enjoy.
How to Use Homemade Cashew Milk in Recipes
Cashew milk is perfect for every day whether you’re dairy free or reducing dairy in your diet. Cashew milk can be used like dairy milk in many recipes. Depending on how much you dilute the cashews will depend on the recipe you’re using them in. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Sweet or Savory: For savory cooking, I use it as is without any inclusions (cinnamon, vanilla…) and same for most baking. However if enjoying it simply with Maple Pecan Granola or Sourdough Cookies, for example, I typically add dates or maple, cinnamon and vanilla.
- For baking, I dilute it, adding an additional cup of water to the full recipe. Or within a recipe use half cashew milk, half water. It yields the consistency about 2% milk.
- For savory cooking, I make it without any inclusions (cinnamon, vanilla…).
- For latte frothing or cutting Cold Brew Coffee, drip coffee or for an Earl Grey Latte, I make it as is, like half & half with a sweet edge.
- Cream, Half & Half, Whole or 2% Milk: The consistency of this cashew milk recipe is about like half & half. If a thinner or thicker milk is preferred, adjust the amount of water used when blending by about one cup either way. It’s completely adjustable.
A Few Cashew Nut Milk Tips
- A high-speed blender is a must for nut milk. To get the cashews perfectly smooth, I use Vitamix. You don’t have to strain the blended cashews, if using a VitaMix so all the fiber and nutrients are retained. Just soak the cashews overnight at room temperature water, then blend.
- For Quick Cashew Milk: soak the cashews for 15 minutes in very hot water, rise, then blend.
- Sweetener (or not) of Choice: Sweeten this cashew milk recipe with dates, maple syrup, honey, agave, sweetener of choice or no sweetener at all. Play with the ratios to suit your taste/dietary needs. After making this recipe for cashew milk a few times, you’ll discover the combination of flavors and/or level of sweetness you prefer.
- Look for cashews in the bulk bins, organic and fair trade if available.
- You’ll want to use this milk pretty quick, within 3 days or it starts to sour. A half batch can be made as well.
- Shake it Up! After storing, you’ll notice how the cashew milk separates. Give the cashew milk a good shake each time before using.
Recipes to Enjoy Cashew Milk With
- Maple Pecan Granola
- Sourdough Vegan Pancakes
- Peanut Butter Overnight Oats
- Banana-Oat Pecan Waffles
- Dutch Baby
- Sourdough Biscuits
- Sourdough Oat Pancakes
- Banana Oat Muffins – Gluten Free – Vegan
- Mocha Shake
- Vegan Hazelnut Chocolate Cake
- Spiked Orange Hot Chocolate
- Gluten Free Pastry for Apple Pie
- Cranberry Orange Sourdough Scones
- Creamy Parmesan Orzo Pasta with Mushrooms
- Greek Yogurt Ranch Dressing
- Corn and Zucchini Fritters
- Roasted Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
- Sourdough Oatmeal Bread
- Creamy White Bean Parmesan and Mushroom Orzo
- Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread
- Cottage Pie
- Stovetop Pumpkin Mac and Cheese
- Gluten Free Cornbread
Homemade Cashew Milk Recipe
- 1 C (160g) Raw Cashews
- 2 Medjool Dates pitted*, or 3 tsp of maple, honey or agave.
- 3 1/2 C (800g) Water**
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon optional
- Soak the cashews in very hot water for 15 minutes OR cashews can be soaked in room temperature water for two hours or overnight as well - whatever works for your schedule. Drain cashews and rinse. Add cashews to the blender (I use a Vitamix) along with dates, water, salt, extract and cinnamon. Blend starting on low speed and increasing to high until smooth and frothy, about 40 seconds.
- If you find your cashew milk still has some chunks, strain the solids out using a nut milk bag, layered cheese cloth or other fine strainer. I have not experienced this when using a Vitamix. Store in a lidded container for up to three days. Shake well before using.