A crunchy, healthy and flavorful Carrot Raisin Salad recipe walnuts and celery drizzled with a Creamy Honey-Lemon Dressing. Easy to make and soooo good with all the spring and summer things like Black Bean Walnut Burgers and Olive and Egg Potato Salad! This recipe is vegetarian, gluten free and easily vegan.
Table of Contents
Why You’ll Love this Carrot Raisin Salad Recipe with Pineapple
This carrot raisin salad recipe is chock full of good for you ingredients and makes a fabulous side for all the summer things. It’s a welcome addition to picnics, potlucks or for alfresco afternoons on the porch. It pairs perfectly with Pulled Portobello BBQ Sandwiches or BBQ Chickpea Burgers. You’re going to love how simple this is to make!
A versatile recipe, some ingredients are easily subbed for what you have in the pantry. Use whatever nuts you have on hand. I like walnuts, but pecans or slivered almonds would be a delight as well. For raisins, I like currants (shown here) or golden raisins, but Thompson dark raisins are delicious too, and add a nice contrast.
For pineapple, I like fresh and in season (Spring-Summer) because it’s so sweet and juicy and the leftovers make a delicious snack or sweet addition to a smoothie. But canned can also be used with delicious results. Simply drain before using.
Ingredients You’ll Need for Carrot Raisin Salad
This carrot raisin salad recipe with pineapple is simple to pull together. You’ll need just a few fresh ingredients (see recipe card for full details):
- Carrots with Tops Attached – this way you can see how fresh they are and the tops are delicious as a garnish and in smoothies.
- Pineapple – fresh if possible
- Raisins – currants, Thompson or Golden
- Celery – for the crunch!
- Fresh Parsley
For the carrot raisin salad dressing, you’ll need mayo, lemon juice and zest, honey (or maple), and a pinch of salt. SO simple, right?
Quick Guide: How to Make Carrot Pineapple Salad
Just a few simple steps to whip this recipe up! In summary, here’s how to make carrot salad with pineapple: (see recipe card below for full details):
- First, toast the walnuts, then give em’ a good chop.
- Second, soak the raisins in hot water. This will make them nice and plump!
- Third, shred the carrots (you can use shredded or grated carrots)! I use the coarse shredder blade of a food processor to shred the carrots. A Julienne peeler will also do the job.
- Fourth, chop the celery, pineapple chunks and parsley.
- Last, whip up the mayonnaise honey lemon dressing.
Put all the ingredients for this carrot salad with raisins and nuts in a large bowl and toss.
A Few Recipe Tips
- Make ahead? Yes please! The dressing can be made up to three days in advance. For the carrot pineapple salad, make one day ahead of when needed. Sprinkle fresh herbs over the top, then toss before serving.
- To shred the carrots, I use the coarse shredder blade of a food processor. A Julienne peeler will also do the job.
- For the raisins, I prefer currants, but they can be hard to find. Look in the bulk bins at your Co-Op or health food store. Otherwise, golden and Thompson raisins are fabulous too.
- Make it vegan! Simply leave out the honey in the dressing and use maple instead. It’s an easy and delicious swap!
More Side Salads for Sharing
- Broccoli Slaw with Golden Raisins and Walnuts
- Texas Potato Salad
- Orzo Asparagus Salad
- Lemon-Dijon Asparagus and Pea Macaroni Salad
- Deviled Egg Potato Salad by Foolproof Living
Carrot Raisin Salad with Pineapple and Creamy Honey Lemon Dressing Recipe
For the Salad:
- 2/3 C (70g) Walnuts or pecans
- 1/2 C (65g) Raisins Thompson, golden or currants
- 4 C (400g) Shreded Carrots *see note. About 8 medium carrots, reserve leaves for garnish if desired
- 1 1/2 C (135g) Pineapple if fresh, cut into small cubes. If canned, drain (reserve the juice for drinking!)
- 1 C (105g) Celery chopped small, reserve leaves if available
- a fist-full Fresh Flat Leaf Parsley leaves finely chopped
For the Dressing:
- 1/3 C (100g) Mayo I like Vegenaise
- 1 Tbs Raw Honey or maple syrup
- 1 Lemon zested and juiced
- 1/8 tsp Fine Sea Salt
For the Salad:
- Preheat oven to 350F and toast walnuts for 7-8 minutes or until fragrant and slightly golden. Set aside to cool. Rough chop.
- If the raisins are stiff and/or dry, place them into a small bowl and pour hot water over them. This will plump them up. Allow to rest for about 10 minutes. Strain through a fine mesh strainer. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the shredded carrots, pineapple, celery, walnuts, raisins and parsley. If celery leaves were reserved, chop fine and add them to the bowl. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss. If you have time, rest in the fridge for at least one hour so the flavors can marry. Store in a lidded container for up to three days. Toss again before serving.
For the Dressing:
- In a small mixing bowl, add the mayo, honey, lemon juice and zest and salt. Whisk to incorporate the flavors.