Garbanzo Summer Salad with Creamy Dill Dressing is a delicious way to eat more veggies! Perfect for a summer picnic, potluck or work week lunch, it’s packed with healthy and hearty ingredients. Vegan + Optional GF
Is it garbanzo beans or chickpeas? I can’t seem to reconcile this.
Garbanzo summer salad with creamy dill dressing is on my list of favorite salads. Make ahead, check. Healthy, check. Delicious, check. Hang out in the fridge for a few days, check. Hearty, check…. check… check….
The texture, flavor, and color of this salad is fantastic; it’s chewy, crunchy and creamy. A beautiful salad, it makes an impressive presentation wherever you serve it, as it is always well received at gatherings, especially in the summer.
The addition of wheat berries yields a nutty flavor and adds a good chewy texture. I’ve made this salad with and without wheat berries. If you are looking for a gluten free option, brown rice or quinoa are delicious options.
You’re going to love this dairy free, creamy dill dressing. It’s light, garlicky, lemony and loaded with fresh dill. A hint of apple cider vinegar sours it up a bit, but not too much. It’s just enough to bring out the sweet flavors of the carrots and red bell peppers.
Not only does this salad taste delicious, it provides fantastic health benefits! The parsley alone is heart healthy, loaded with antioxidants, and is protective against rheumatoid arthritis and certain carcinogens. The garbanzo beans (AKA chickpeas), provide a whole host of benefits.
Packed with fiber and protein, I love these beans because they keep me fuller longer, so there’s less of a chance that I’ll snack on something later that may not be as healthful for me (like these)!
I hope you’ll try this. Take it to your next pot luck or family gathering. It’s worth the effort!
Garbanzo Summer Salad with Creamy Dill Dressing
Hearty, delicious, healthy and full of vibrant veggies, this salad will keep you full and satisfied! A perfect addition to your healthy lifestyle! Vegan + Optionally GF
For the Salad:
- 1/2 C Wheat Berries for GF try Quinoa or Brown Rice
- 1 3/4 C Water
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 15 oz Can of Garbanzo Beans rinsed
- 1 C Red Bell Pepper about 1 diced
- 1 C Green Bell Pepper about 1 diced
- 1/2 C Cucumber skin on, about 1 diced
- 3 C Carrots medium, about 1 diced
- 1/4 C Purple Onion about 1/2 diced
- 1/4 C Parsley chopped
- 2 Tbs Chives chopped
For the Dressing:
- 1/3 C Vegenaise or Just Mayo
- 1 Tbs Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- 2 Cloves Garlic minced, about 1 tsp
- 1 tsp Fresh Dill chopped
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- Fresh Ground Pepper to taste
For the Salad:
- Bring water to a boil, then drop in wheat berries with a pinch of salt. Stir once, turn heat to med-low and simmer for 1 hour. Remove from heat, cover with lid and let sit covered for 15 minutes. Stir, place in refrigerator to chill.
- Prep all veggies by dicing/chopping and place in large mixing bowl.
For the Dressing:
- Place all ingredients in a small mixing bowl and whisk with a fork or mini whisk. Adjust seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.
Combine all the veggies, herbs and chilled wheat berries. Pour dressing over the salad and stir ingredients until evenly distributed. Cover and chill until ready to serve. Refrigerate for up to three days.
Recipe adapted from PCC Natural Markets.
If you make this recipe, or any others on Vanilla And Bean, be sure to post it to Instagram and tag #VanillaAndBean! I’d love to see what you’ve made! Also, if you like my content, please consider sharing it with three friends and/or family. Thank you!