Simple, economical and portable! This 3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Balls no bake recipe is like my Healthy Peanut Butter Bars but are easier to whip up. They’re convenient to have at the ready when hunger paings strike. With optional adds ins, you can keep it simple or make these little balls more indulgent. This recipe is vegetarian, vegan and easily gluten free.
Why You’ll Love These 3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Balls
Healthier snacks we can whip up at home and have on the ready for all the things? Yes please!
These 3 ingredient snacks are delicious for lunch boxes, in between meals snacks, road trippin’, after school or to stuff in your backpack to take on a hike. They’re even quite tasty when your sweet tooth strikes at the office! Here’s why you’ll love this peanut butter balls recipe:
- Simple To Make
- Only Three Ingredients – with optional add ins
- Wholesome Ingredients
- Naturally Sweetened
- Freezer Friendly
What You’ll Need for 3 Ingredient No Bake Peanut Butter Balls
- Natural Peanut Butter – Look for natural peanut butter with only one or two ingredients. You can use crunchy peanut butter or creamy peanut butter.
- Oats – You’ll need old fashioned rolled oats or quick oats. Old fashioned oats offer a bit more texture.
- Maple Syrup – Use pure maple syrup. Honey may be subbed, but the peanut butter bites will be a bit sweeter.
How to Make 3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Oatmeal Balls
I like to whip these bites up in a food processor. That way the oats are broken down a bit and the peanut butter is easier to handle. If you don’t have a food processor, you can gently warm the peanut butter in the microwave to soften it and use quick oats for a softer texture, or a mixture of quick and rolled oats. Here’s how to make these easy peanut butter balls with oats (see recipe card for details):
- First, add half the oats to the food processor work bowl and process for about 20 seconds. This will break them down a bit.
- Next, add the remaining oats, peanut butter and maple syrup and process for about 15 seconds.
- Last, scoop the peanut butter dough, roll and enjoy!
If adding additional ingredients, add those when you add the peanut butter.
Optional Add Ins
There are many ways to elevate these little no bake 3 ingredient peanut butter snacks. Choose one or more… here are some favorites:
- Salt – Sea salt here, you’ll just need a sprinkle. It adds a nice pop of interest and contrast.
- Vanilla Extract – Pure vanilla extract boosts the flavor profile of these tasty peanut butter energy balls and I highly recommend it.
- Mini Chocolate Chips – Look for dairy free if needed. I like Enjoy Life brand.
- Cocoa Nibs – Instead of mini chocolate chips, try cocoa nibs. They add bitter chocolate flavor, crunch and healthy fats.
- Chia Seeds – Seedy little bits add texture and extra fiber to your peanut butter bite.
Peanut Butter Balls FAQs
Which is the Best Peanut Butter Brand to Use?
This recipe calls for Natural Peanut Butter. That’s peanut butter with only one or two ingredients – peanuts and salt – and doesn’t include any added oils or sugars. I like Santa Cruz, Woodstock, Once Again and Maranatha Organic Peanut Butter brands.
Do Peanut Butter Balls Have To Be Refrigerated?
These peanut butter balls do not have to be refrigerated. Leave them at room temperature for best texture.
Can I Freeze 3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Balls?
These little bites freeze beautifully! Store in the freezer in a covered container for up to two weeks. Thaw at room temperature.
A Few Recipe Tips
- Use a #50 cookie scoop to make portioning a snap! It’s about the size of one tablespoon.
- Crumbly Dough? If you find the dough to be crumbly after processing, add a few teaspoons of water to bring the dough together.
- Make em’ gluten free. Simply use gluten free certified rolled oats or quick oats in place of regular oats.
More Peanut Butter Snacks to Love
- Healthy Peanut Butter Bars
- Chewy Peanut Butter Granola Bars
- Peanut Butter Tagalongs Cookie Cups – by Salted Plains
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Energy Bites – by Bakerita
- Vegan Peanut Butter Fudgesicles – by The Bojon Gormet
3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Balls Recipe
- In the work bowl of a food processor fitted with the S blade, add half the oats. Process for about 15 seconds or until the oats are broken down a bit.
- Add the remaining oats, peanut butter and maple syrup. If using any add ins, now is the time to drop them in the work bowl. Process for 15 seconds. Scrape down bowl, and process again for about 15 seconds more. Grab a small fist full of dough. If the dough sticks together without crumbling, it's ready to scoop and roll. If the dough seems a bit crumbly, add one tablespoon of water and process again for about 10 seconds. Test again. If still crumbly add an additional teaspoon of water.
- Use a #50 cookie scoop to make portioning a snap or portion into about 1 tablespoon size balls. Use your hands to roll the dough into a ball and place it in a parchment lined container. The peanut butter balls are now ready to enjoy!
- To Store: Store in a lidded container at in the fridge for up to one week. Texture is best at room temperature. Or, store in the freezer, removing individual balls as desired for up two weeks. Thaw at room temperature.