Whip this healthy homemade ranch dressing with Greek yogurt and mayo up in no time! With the option of fresh or dried herbs, homemade ranch can be kept on hand year round. Use it as a salad dressing, in bowls, or as a dip for veggies, pizza or french fries. For a dairy free ranch, try my Dairy Free/Vegan Ranch Dressing. This recipe is vegetarian and gluten free.
A Classic for Good Reason
I’ve never met anyone who doesn’t love ranch dressing. It’s flavor packed, versatile, creamy and pairs with so many good eats. Having a tasty homemade ranch dressing recipe in your back pocket means a hearty salad with ranch is never too far away.
When I was a kid, store bought Ranch salad dressing and dip always had a place at the table. Then, I learned how to make classic Ranch dressing years ago using sour cream, mayonnaise and buttermilk, with the commercial packet of seasonings.
But, after learning how to cook, I discovered I wanted more control of the ingredients in the recipes I was making. I started playing with ranch dressing ingredients to uncover my best healthy Ranch dressing that’s made with Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, spices and herbs with no preservatives.
Quick Guide: How to Make Homemade Healthy Ranch Dressing with Greek Yogurt
Quick to whip up, you’ll need a whisk, some pantry staples and either fresh or dried herbs. I find a bit of lemon juice in yogurt ranch dressing is essential for the freshest flavor and a boost of tanginess! Who knew you could make ranch dressing with Greek yogurt taste so good!? In summary, here’s how to whip up this ranch dressing (see recipe card for details):
- First, whisk together the mayo and Greek yogurt.
- Second, sprinkle in the garlic granules, onion powder, salt and black pepper.
- Third, add the dill, parsley and chives.
- Next, squeeze in the lemon juice and thin with just a bit of milk.
- Last, whisk and refrigerate.
You’ll notice there’s no buttermilk in this recipe. While Greek yogurt lends a tangy flavor, I also include homemade cashew milk and lemon juice in part as a stand in. But any milk, plant or dairy can be used. Plan ahead so the yogurt ranch dressing has time to marinate in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
Can I Use Dried Herbs Instead of Fresh in Healthy Homemade Ranch?
Dried herbs are so convenient, especially when fresh is not in season. I’ve made this recipe with both and while I prefer fresh herbs for their color and freshness, this ranch dressing with yogurt can also be made easily with dried.
If you’re making homemade ranch dressing with dried herbs, simply use half the amount called for in the recipe with exception to chives. Dried herbs tend to shrink in size when dried, so they’re smaller, for the most part, however, chives tend to not shrink as much.
Last, you’ll want to allow the dressing to set for about an hour to allow the dried herbs to fully hydrate.
Substitutes and Variations
Yogurt: This recipe calls for whole milk Greek yogurt. However, for a lower fat version of healthy Greek yogurt ranch dressing, opt for a low fat yogurt. The dressing will be a bit thinner, so reduce or omit the amount of added milk in the recipe. Simply add to taste.
Mayo: There are many options when it comes to mayonnaise! My favorite mayonnaise is organic Veganease. It’s egg free but still so rich! Choose your favorite mayo to use in this recipe.
Garlic: This ranch with yogurt recipe calls for garlic granules. If garlic powder is what you have on hand, use it, but only half of what’s called for in the recipe. Garlic powder is a finer grind so it will pack a stronger punch if not reduced in this recipe.
Lemon: No Lemon? Apple cider vinegar is a fine stand in.
A Few Recipe Notes
- Use fresh herbs if possible for best color and flavor.
- If including dried herbs instead of fresh, use half of what’s called for in the recipe (with exception to chives).
- This ranch Greek yogurt dressing will thicken as it rests in the fridge. To thin, add a splash of milk.
- For a Greek yogurt ranch dip recipe, you can simply omit the milk in this recipe. The ranch will be thicker and richer.
- For a dairy free/vegan ranch, try my Dairy Free Ranch Dressing recipe.
Recipes to Use Your Healthy Ranch Dressing With
Homemade Ranch Dressing with Greek Yogurt
- 1/3 C (90g) Whole Milk Greek Yogurt unsweetened, I like Nancy's
- 1/3 C (75g) Mayonnaise I like Veganease
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Granules or 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 + 1/8 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/4 tsp fine Sea Salt
- 1 Pinch Ground Black Pepper
- 2 tsp Fresh Dill chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp Fresh Parsley chopped fine, curly or flat leaf
- 1 1/2 tsp Fresh Chives chopped fine
- 1 1/2 tsp Lemon Juice
- 2 -3 tsp Milk as needed to thin, plant or dairy
- In a small mixing bowl, add the yogurt, mayo, garlic granules, onion powder, salt, pepper, dill, parsley, chives and lemon juice. Whisk until all the ingredients come together creating a smooth texture.
- Add two teaspoons of milk and whisk. If a thinner dressing is desired, add another teaspoon or two of milk.
- Rest the dressing in the fridge for at least 30 minutes so the flavors have time to marry. If using dried herbs, give the dressing at least one hour so the herbs have time to fully hydrate.
- Store the dressing in a lidded container in the fridge for up to a week. Stir or shake before using as it tends to separate.