Rancheros Tofu Scramble has all the flavor and texture as huevos rancheros, but is egg-free. Even egg lovers get excited about this Vegan Tofu Scramble recipe! It works perfectly for breakfast, lunch or dinner! This recipe is vegetarian, vegan and easily gluten free.
Don’t Fear the Tofu!
So.. I finally tried a Tofu Scramble. Now, don’t get me wrong, I love eggs. But I love tofu too and cook with it several times a month. But tofu sans eggs for breakfast was completely new to me.
I started playing with this Vegan Tofu Scramble for two reasons:
- Several Vanilla And Bean readers requested it
- Because Rob decided he was going to try an elimination diet to see if specific foods were giving him trouble. Being the cook of the house, and of course a food blogger, this gave me an opportunity to try a few new recipes and temporarily eliminate some ingredients from my diet as well.
I’d read about vegan tofu scramble in one of my favorite cookbooks by Cafe Flora, and my cousin and I recently had a conversation about it since she follows a plant-based diet and makes vegan tofu scrambles. She provided a no-oil tip which works beautifully!
What emerged was a crave-worthy, mouthwatering and easy to prepare vegan tofu scramble that I’ve been incorporating into our weekend breakfast routine. Rob loves the leftovers for weekday lunches and I love how easy it is to pull together! Hello, fancy breakfast in 30 minutes!
What you’ll need to make this recipe
For the Vegan Tofu Scramble
- A block of Firm Tofu
- Ground Turmeric
- Prepared Pinto Beans
- Sea Salt
For the Rancheros Sauce
- A can of Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- Green Bell Pepper
- Purple Onion
- Chipotle Chili Pepper in Adobo Sauce
- Adobo Sauce from a can of chipotle chili peppers
- Pickled Jalapeno Pepper Rings
- Ground Cumin
- Sea Salt
Serve With (optional)
- Warm Soft Tortillas
- Sliced Avocados
- Additional Rancheros Sauce
How to Make this Vegan Tofu Scramble
- First, heat and crumble the tofu on medium-low heat. Sprinkle in the turmeric and cook on medium-low for about 8-10 minutes.
- Second, make the Rancheros Sauce: In a blender, add the fire roasted tomatoes, green bell pepper, onion, garlic, chili pepper, adobo sauce, jalapeños, cumin, and sea salt. Pulse ingredients until chunky.
- Third, to the pan with the tofu, add the beans, salt and 1 cup of rancheros sauce.
- Last, assemble: Spoon the tofu mixture into warmed tortillas. Add a few slices of avocado and top with more rancheros sauce and cilantro to taste.
For meal prep, make the tofu mixture with the sauce and store it in the fridge for up to three days. When you’re ready to eat, simply warm the tortillas and top with all the things!
A Few Vegan Tofu Scramble Notes
- Opt for firm tofu rather than extra firm for this tofu scramble. The extra firm seems a bit rubbery for this application, while the firm has a similar texture to the real deal.
- You’ll have rancheros sauce leftover. Use it to serve on the side or freeze it for next time you make Rancheros Vegan Tofu Scramble.
- A non-stick pan is essential if preparing this recipe sans oil (as written).
- For gluten-free rancheros, opt for gluten-free tortillas and chipotle chilis in adobo (there’s hidden flour in there!).
- Turmeric magically makes the tofu a beautiful golden/yellow hue. It’s optional, but a good fake out!
- Rancheros Tofu Scramble is a fabulous option for meal prep. It holds in the fridge for up to three days without the toppings.
More Tofu Recipes to Love
- Mexican-Inspired Tofu Tacos with Chili-Lime Slaw and Cilantro-Pepita Crema
- Marinated Grilled Tofu – by Bojon Gourmet
- Cheesy Tofu Enchiladas
- Sweet and Spicy Crispy Tofu with Zucchini Noodles – by Kitchen Confidante
- Grilled BBQ Tofu Vegetable Kebabs
Rancheros Tofu Scramble
For the Scramble:
For the Rancheros Sauce (yields 2 C (545g)):
- 14 1/2 oz (411g) Fire Roasted Tomatoes 1 can
- 1 C (115g) Green Bell Pepper diced, about 1 small
- 1 C (100g) Purple Onion diced, about 1 small
- 1 Large Clove of Garlic
- 1 Chipotle Chili Pepper in Adobo Sauce gluten free is needed
- 2 tsp Adobo Sauce from can of chipotle chili peppers
- 4-6 Pickled Jalapeno Pepper Rings take this up if you like the spicy!
- 1 tsp Cumin ground
- 3/4 tsp Sea Salt
Serve With (optional):
- Warm Soft Tortillas** (see note) gluten free if needed, I like La Tortilla Factory
- Sliced Avocados
- Additional Rancheros Sauce
- Cook the Tofu: In a non-stick 10" (25 cm) skillet, heat to medium-low and crumble the tofu into the pan. They should be in bite-size pieces. Sprinkle in the turmeric, and cook on medium low for about 8-10 minutes, drying the tofu out even further, tossing and turning occasionally with a spatula to evenly distribute the turmeric. Some bits may brown a little - this is fine.
- Add the beans to the tofu, salt, and 1 C (290g) rancheros sauce (see below for instructions) to the pan. Stir gently to incorporate. Add more rancheros sauce if desired. Warm through on medium-low - about 5 minutes, stirring as needed. Taste for salt adjustment.
For the Rancheros Sauce:
- In a blender, (I use VitaMix) add the fire roasted tomatoes, green bell pepper, onion, garlic, chili pepper, adobo sauce, jalapeños, cumin, and sea salt. Pulse ingredients until chunky, about 5-6 times. It's now ready to use in the recipe.
- Spoon the tofu mixture into warmed tortillas**, place a few slices of avocado alongside the tofu mixture and top with more rancheros sauce and cilantro to taste.
- Store leftover sauce in the refrigerator for up to a week or in the freezer for up to a month. Leftover Rancheros Tofu Scramble can be stored in a lidded container, in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.