Fizzy, minty, slightly sweet and packed with strawberries and lime, a Strawberry Mojito is sure to quench your afternoon thirst. Whip up this summertime white rum cocktail or mocktail in no time at all!
A Fresh Take on Mojitos
Have you tried a strawberry mojito? I recently discovered it.
Now, don’t get me wrong, I’ve always been a fan of mojitos. But strawberry mojitos, I didn’t know about. How does this happen?!
I won’t be letting these simple white rum cocktails slip from my mind anytime soon. They’re so simple to whip up too!
Ingredients for Strawberry Mojitos!
Find the most local, organic and freshest of strawberries you can. They’ll be juicier, sweeter, vibrant and take this cocktail over the top! Here’s what you’ll need:
- Homemade mint simple syrup
- White Rum or leave out for a mocktail!
- Crushed Ice
- Club Soda
Be sure to pick up extra mint for a pretty garnish! I grow a pot of mint for summer entertaining. It’s a fail-proof plant and it’s the one thing the deer don’t eat.
It was a pre-birthday celebration, at Barrio Mexican Kitchen in Seattle where I flipped out over this mojito. Oh my, have you been? If you’re ever in Seattle, you must go! I had smoked mushroom enchiladas with, you know it, a strawberry mojito. Talk about inspired!
I was hesitant to even order a cocktail because they’re so blasted expensive, and then half the time the cocktail doesn’t even taste good… or it’s way too sweet. I usually just go with wine and reserve cocktails for home. But I trusted. After-all, Barrio was named “Ace Bar Staff” and “Best Bartender.” I was not disappointed.
How to Make Strawberry Mojitos
- First, make the mint simple syrup and allow it to cool.
- Next, in a highball glass, layer the mint, lime wedges, simple, and strawberries. Muddle until the juices of the lime and strawberries are released.
- Pour the rum over the muddled ingredients, top with ice then fill club soda to the rim.
- Last, garnish with mint leaves, a strawberry and lime.
A Few Strawberry Mojito Recipe Notes
- The mint simple syrup can be made weeks in advance. I sometimes forget to make it, so after pouring the freshly made simple into a storage container, I pop it in the freezer, unlidded for about 1/2 an hour to cool.
- These white rum cocktails are best freshly made and with the juiciest, organic and if possible local strawberries you can get your hands on. A trip to the farmers market may be in order!
- Strawberry mojitos make a fabulous mocktails too. Simply omit the rum and add a bit more club and simple to taste.
More Fresh White Rum Cocktails to Love
For the Mint Simple Syrup*:
- 1/2 C (120g) Sugar Evaporated Cane Juice
- 1/2 C (116g) Water
- 2 leaves Stems of Mint stems and
For the Mojito (Yields one drink):
- 1/2 (54g) Lime cut into 4 wedges 3 wedges cut 1/2, save the last wedge for garnish
- 4-8 Leaves Whole Mint (depends on taste, I used 8) + One stem for garnish
- 4 (122g) Strawberries 3 large, cut quarters for muddling, 1 berry for garnish
- 1 - 1 1/2 oz (28-42g) Mint Simple Syrup cooled (recipe above)
- 2 oz (57g) White / Light Rum or leave out for mocktail
- Crushed Ice
- Club Soda
For the Mint Simple Syrup:
- Pour the sugar and water in a two-quart saucepan, then add the mint and bring to a boil. Stir. Boil until all the sugar is dissolved. Set aside to steep for 10 minutes and allow the syrup to cool. Remove the mint leaves and pour into a lidded container for storage in the refrigerator until ready to use.
For the Mojito:
- In a 16 oz (454g) highball glass, layer the cut lime wedges, mint leaves, and three quartered strawberries.
- Pour in the simple and muddle the mixture for about 30 seconds. The goal is to squeeze out the lime juice, mash the berries and to allow the mint to release its oils. There should be bits of strawberries left when muddling is complete.
- Add the light rum (or omit for mocktail) to the muddled mixture, then add crushed ice (I fill mine almost to the top). Top off with Club Soda. Stir well. Garnish with a lime wedge, medium strawberry, and mint stem. When finishing the mojito, have a spoon on hand to dig out the delicious strawberry bits!