Make a pitcher or single serve, this Honey Sweetened Fresh Cherry Limeade recipe is refined sugar free, zesty and SO refreshing! Delicious for party hosting or sippin’ with your favorite book in hand.
Cherry limeade has always been a Summertime treat, as long as I can remember. Those of you who know the fast food restaurant chain Sonic know their cherry limeades.
In Texas, there’s a Sonic in every town. I used to hang out there with my friends after soccer and football games. Sometimes Mom and Dad would take us there after Sunday Church. The closest Sonic in Washington State is a few hours from where I live now.
They serve typical American fast food, with junk food galore like chili cheese burgers, hot dogs, and cheesy jalapeño poppers, so it’s not a place I’d seek out anyway now. Although, if they offered a veggie burger with veggie chili on top, you may just find me there. But cherry limeade is one thing they make that holds a special place in my heart.
Now that I know how to make cherry limeade at home, it’s the only way I’ll drink it now!
How to Make Cherry Limeade
Because I love cherry limeade so much, I started making my own at home. Instead of loading it up with cane sugar and a commercial lemon-lime soda (more sugar), I opt for honey and club soda. Here’s how to make it:
- First, start with simmering the cherries in water with lime zest.
- Second, add the cherries and their juices to a blender (I use a VitaMix) with honey and lime juice.
- Next, whiz the ingredients until smooth (strain if any solids remain), then pour into a lidded storage jar and chill.
- Last, add a bit to an ice packed glass, then top with fizzy club soda.
Ahhhhh… can you taste it?
The syrup can be used to make individual drinks, or a pitcher of limeade can be made to serve a small crowd, using the entire batch of syrup.
A Few Recipe Notes
- For a cherry limeade like Sonic, be sure to crush your ice! Place it in a bag and smash it against the counter!
- The flavor of this cherry limeade recipe is subtle. Lime and cherry notes shine because sugar doesn’t get in the way of their sublime flavors.
- For an adult beverage, try adding adding a glug of vodka.
- A high speed blender is a must in this recipe. VitaMix pulverizes the cherries in this syrup recipe, leaving behind all the fruit and juice to be enjoyed in this sipper.
- Make ahead! The recipe easily doubles and freezes with ease! Be sure to leave at least an inch of head space in a Mason jar if freezing.
Honey Sweetened Fresh Cherry LimeadeServings:5 ServingsCalories:90kcalMake a big batch or single serve, this Honey Sweetened Fresh Cherry Limeade is refined sugar free, zesty and SO refreshing! Freezer friendly!
- 1 C Pitted Fresh Sweet Cherries 175g
- 1/2 C Water 116g
- 1/3 C Raw Honey 90g
- 2 tsp Lime Zest
- 1/3 C Lime Juice fresh squeezed (about two limes), 55g
- 30 oz Club Soda 850g
- Slices Fresh Cherries and Lime for Garnish
For the Syrup:
- In a medium sauce pot, add the cherries and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, mash up the cherries a bit then put a lid on it and simmer for 15 minutes.
- In a blender, add the cherries, all their juices, honey, zest and lime juice. Blend until smooth. If any solids remain, strain mixture using a fine mesh strainer. Chill before making the Limeades.Store in the refrigerator for up to one week in a lidded container or freeze for up to one month.
For the Drinks:
- For individual servings, fill each 8oz (225g) glass with ice. Pour 2oz (30g) of syrup into each glass, then top off with club soda. Stir, and garnish with cherries and lime slices.
- For a pitcher, fill a pitcher with ice. Add all the syrup to a pitcher, then top with 30 oz (850g) of club soda. Stir and garnish with cherries and limes. Serve right away.
NotesAdapted from Whole Foods.Nutrition is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate. If this information is important to you, please have it verified independently.Calories: 90kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 38mg | Potassium: 92mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 22g | Vitamin A: 18IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 14mg | Iron: 1mgMade It? Be sure to leave a comment below! The most helpful comment may include recipe rating, feedback, any modifications and/or helping other commenters. On Instagram? Take a snap of your make and share, tagging @VanillaAndBean #VanillaAndBean!