Whip up this frosty whole foods nice cream recipe in no time. Spiked with a bit of chocolate, creamy Strawberry Chocolate Chip Nice Cream is a delicious and easy no churn, homemade way to stay on track. vegan + gluten free
Before we get to this Strawberry Nice Cream recipe, a little back story. I’ve been in the throes of cleansing and… I’ve ditched gluten. For now anyway. Trying to tease out digestive issues that may or may not have something to do with my hypothyroid doesn’t happen fast.
To be honest, the road so far hasn’t been easy. I’ve been emotional, distracted and immersed. Learning about gluten and its effects on those who are sensitive has given me a new appreciation for those affected by this intolerance/disease/allergen. I had no idea its impacts were so far-reaching.
In addition, giving up gluten and my beloved sourdough bread has been like breaking up with an old friend. Its been hard. I’ve read about studies that indicate sourdough, through the fermentation process, is okay for those sensitive to gluten. My naturopath and others I’ve read are not convinced. When I eat gluten, I have no immediate effects like stomach cramps, nausea, bloating etc. My symptoms may be manifesting as quiet symptoms. Long term issues such as a sluggish hypothyroid, hormonal imbalance and possible inflammation which has detrimental longterm effects if left unchecked. These are symptoms of sensitivity too.
My goal is to accept this journey and to have peace about it. I feel like I’ve partially embraced it, but the baker in me is giving it the stink eye. Long term and after testing, it’s my hope that I’ll eventually get back to my glutenous ways. But I also realize that may not be possible.
In the mean time I’ve been experimenting with gluten free baking. I never imagined baking without gluten. But if I’m going gluten free, isn’t it a great time to be? There are many excellent gluten free resources from bloggers, and cookbooks in addition to the abundant array of gluten free and whole grain flours available. I can’t even imagine what it was like 10 years ago.
I have much to be grateful for.
And to to be healthy, even at the expense of gluten… well, I just might have to go there. I hope you’ll stick with me on this journey. It’s a bumpy ride!
I’m Not a Good Cleanser:
Through this, I’ve not been a good cleanser and I cheat a little. Like I want a morning cup of coffee, but drinking it black is like drinking sludge. So, I add just a bit of maple syrup in with unsweetened homemade cashew milk and that takes the no sugar allowed edge off. It also helps my emotional wellbeing.
Same with Strawberry Chocolate Chip Nice Cream (or nicecream?). There’s no added sugar per se’. Just a little bit in the dark chocolate drizzle. This nice cream recipe came out of my craving for something sweet, while on that cleanse. (okay – I cheated on the chocolate… and maple.. and… and…!!).
A healthy nice cream recipe that’s quelled my sweet tooth and my emotional freak outs is just what I need! It’s simple enough to make too in the food processor or blender with only a few ingredients.
What is Nice Cream?
Nice cream is a creamy, dreamy whole foods banana based frozen treat. It’s made of frozen bananas as a base and any other frozen fruit you’d like to add. For this Strawberry Nice Cream Recipe, I’ve included a bit of chocolate which when drizzled in with the food processor running, creates little flex of chocolate chips! YUM! To make it extra creamy I add a bit of coconut cream to the mix.
How to Make this Strawberry Nice Cream Recipe:
All you need is a few bananas, fruit, a fat like coconut cream or nut butter, a bit of vanilla, a pinch of salt and a food processor! There are other delicious add ins like chocolate and spices too! It’s that simple.
- First, freeze the bananas and strawberries for at least an hour before processing.
- Second, process the ingredients in the food processor for about 3 minutes, scraping down the sides of the work bowl 2-3 times.
- Last, the Nice Cream is ready! Scoop into bowls or onto ice cream cones. Drizzle with more chocolate!
Enjoy nice cream soft serve style straight from the bowl (my favorite) or give it an hour or two in the freezer so that it sets up just a bit.
A Few Strawberry Nice Cream Recipe Notes:
- I’ve included a single and double batch for Strawberry Chocolate Chip Nice Cream in the recipe below. For a double batch, you’ll need at least a 10-12 cup food processor.
- The technical/proper word for those flecks of chocolate in this recipe is stracciatella. Chocolate chips is easier to say and spell, so I went with it.
- Plan ahead! The bananas and strawberries need to be frozen at least 1 hour in advance.
- Look for vegan and gluten free chocolate if needed.
- Strawberry Nice Cream tastes best when enjoyed shortly after making it. The texture is smooth and creamy and the consistency is fluffy. I find freezing it for more than a few hours changes it’s character. If you do freeze it for a longer period of time, be sure to pull it out of the freezer and rest it on the counter for 20 minutes or so just to soften it a bit.
More Egg and Dairy Free Ice (and Nice) Cream Recipes to Love!
- Dark Chocolate Cocoa Nib Ice Cream
- Bourbon Soaked Cherry Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
- Bourbon Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
- Mexican Chocolate Almond Nice Cream Bowls
Strawberry Chocolate Chip Nice Cream
For Two Servings:
- 2 C (207g) Frozen Bananas chopped into small chunks, about 2 bananas
- 3/4 C (95g) Frozen Strawberries stems removed, cut in half
- 2 Tbs Full Fat Coconut Milk Cream from a can, refrigerated, cream scooped out
- 1/8 tsp Fine Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tbs (25g) Dark Chocolate chopped, then melted
For Four Servings:
- 4 C (415g) Frozen Bananas chopped into small chunks, about 4 bananas
- 1 1/2 C (190g) Frozen Strawberries stems removed, cut in half
- 4 Tbs Full Fat Coconut Milk Cream from a can, refrigerated, cream scooped out
- 1/4 tsp Fine Sea Salt
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 C (50g) Dark Chocolate chopped, then melted
- Place a loaf pan or other small pan (at least 6 cup) in the freezer while freezing the bananas and strawberries. The nice cream will be stored in this container after processing.
- In the work bowl of a food processor fitted with the S blade, add the bananas, strawberries, coconut cream, salt, and extract. Process for about three minutes until fluffy and creamy, scraping down the bowl two to three times or as needed during processing. Once processed, slowly drizzle in the melted chocolate while pulsing the food processor. This results in the tasty and texture rich chocolate flecks in the nice cream.
- Spoon the nice cream into the chilled loaf pan and enjoy right away or freeze for a few hours to set for a firmer nice cream. For longer storage, place a piece of parchment paper directly on top of the nice cream and/or lid the container it's stored in.
Nutrition is provided as an estimate (per serving) and courtesy. If this information is important to you, please verify it independently.
*Many thanks to EdwardAndSons for sending me these fabulous gluten free sugar cones and to Theo Chocolate for their fair trade, organic and gluten free (!!) chocolate used in this recipe! I’m a big fan of both companies!