A Summertime cocktail to quench those dog days. Bourbon, peach, mint and ginger come together to create a flavor packed sipper; Bourbon Peach Smash!
I really feel like gushing over this cocktail, y’all.
It’s that good.
But If I gushed over every recipe I share here, I think y’all’ll start leaving (can you believe that’s a word? I heard it in Texas – just sayin’). Thing is, everything I share here is food I love and it would be easy for me to gush every. single. time. So can I just make sure we have an understanding, between us, of food shared here… that I’m gushing behind the scenes?
A few years ago when my Ma came up, all the way from Texas, she introduced me to Bourbon Peach Smash. One of our first orders of business was to make this drink and chocolate babka.
We did both.
At the same time.
I recommend not drinking Peach Smash while devouring babka (i.e. any sweet baked good) because there’s too much sweetness going on to appreciate one or the other. However, it’s perfectly okay to drink Peach Smash while in the midst of mixing dough, chopping chocolate, letting dough rise (make another Smash.. while you wait), rolling out dough, filling it, letting it rise again (time to make another), and baking babka.
By the time the babka’s done, you’re smashed.
Ever since then, this is the Summer cocktail. Refreshing, sweet, cold, gingery, minty and oh so peachy.
It comes together in 10 minutes and requires only a few ingredients. If you’re serving a crowd, the recipe can be easily scaled to make a pitcher, then served as a punch or poured over ice. Just make sure everyone gets some juicy bits of peach.
These would make killer poptails. Since I had my head in the sand this year, next year, #popsicleweek, I’m looking at you.
And the babka. That’ll be happening again when my mom arrives along with this Peach Smash.
For more fresh fruit sippers, check out:
Bourbon Peach SmashA Summertime cocktail to quench those dog days. Bourbon, peach, mint and ginger come together to create a flavor packed sipper.Prep Time 10 minutesTotal Time 10 minutesServings 1 Serving
For the Simple Syrup (Yields 2-3 Servings):
- 1/2 C Cane Sugar 120g
- 1/2 C Water 116g
- 1 leaves Stem of Mint and stem
- 1 " Nob of Fresh Ginger sliced thin
For the Cocktail (1 Serving):
- 1/2 of a Large Peach cut into cubes, skin on
- 4-5 Leaves Mint
- 1 oz Simple Syrup 28g
- 1 1/2 oz Bourbon* 43g
- Crushed Ice
- Ginger Ale cold
- Candied Ginger for garnish (optional)
For the Simple Syrup:
- In a small sauce-pot add the sugar, water, mint and ginger. Bring to a boil, swirl the pot gently to mix the ingredients, turn heat down and simmer until the sugar is dissolved. Strain and set aside in the refrigerator to cool. The syrup can be made several days in advance and stored in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
For the Cocktail:
- In 16oz (454g) highball glass, add the peach pieces, mint and simple syrup. Muddle the ingredients 5-6 times. Add the bourbon, then fill the glass with crushed ice. I fill mine to the rim. Top off with cold ginger ale and stir well pulling the peach/syrup mixture to the top.
- Garnish with mint and an optional piece of candied ginger.
*I used Maker's Mark Bourbon, but have also used Crown Royal in this recipe with delicious results.