Make ahead easy, nourishing and delicious, this overnight Creamy Coconut Porridge is one of my favorite ways to get the day going. Enjoy chilled or warm. This recipe is vegetarian, vegan + gluten free.
The name is nothing exciting. I get it. But if this is unfamiliar territory, please allow me explain.
What is Porridge?
- Porridge can be made of various grains, nuts and seeds and typically includes milk, water or both. Porridge is different than oatmeal in that porridge is usually made from grains like polenta, kasha or grits, rather than oats.
- For some, a piping hot bowl of oats is referred to as oatmeal, mostly in the U.S., while in other countries, it is referred to as porridge. Like oats, porridge can be served warm or chilled.
I was skeptical, trying overnight porridge for the first time, but I was in an every-morning green-smoothie breakfast rut. Don’t get me wrong, I love green smoothies. But a girl’s gotta have variety.
Enter roasted buckwheat groats (AKA kasha). I’ve known buckwheat flour. It makes its way into my waffles and pancakes. Soba noodles are also made from buckwheat flour.
How to Make Creamy Coconut Porridge:
I crave Creamy Coconut Porridge now. It’s so simple to make and easy to whip up. It only takes a bit of pre-planning because the kasha and walnuts need to be soaked overnight. I make a single or double batch and store it in little 8oz jars in the refrigerator where it keeps for at least three days. Waking up to an already prepared breakfast means I can start the day with a little less hurry.
- Plan ahead: Soak the kasha and walnuts overnight.
- Rise the kasha and walnuts.
- Place walnuts, kasha, coconut milk, dates, maple syrup, chia seeds and salt in a blender (I use VitaMix) and blend on high speed.
- Spoon into lidded jars and refrigerate. When ready to eat, simply add toppings and enjoy!
There’s nothing quite as comforting as a bowl of healthy overnight porridge with seasonal fruit and other mouthwatering toppings to start the day. Even in Summer, I enjoy this right out of the refrigerator, but it can be warmed if desired.
Creamy Coconut Porridge is filling and sticks with me well into the morning, so it leaves me satisfied and not reaching for a snack before lunch.
Since I’ve been craving mangos so much, I carried the tropical flavors through as the toppings for this recipe. Coconut, mango, banana, cocoa nibs and cinnamon are mouthwatering additions, but any seasonal fruit will be delicious.
A drizzle of maple syrup is a naturally sweet finish to this nourishing, creamy, nutty and comforting breakfast.
More Quick and Easy Healthy Overnight Breakfast Recipes to Love:
- Overnight Turmeric Chia Oats
- Matcha Chia Pudding
- Overnight Refrigerator Oatmeal – by Kitchen Confidant
- Pumpkin Porridge
- Golden Milk Overnight Oats – by The Bojon Gourmet
- Overnight Coconut Buckwheat Porridge – by Foolproof Living
Creamy Coconut Porridge
For the Porridge:
- 1 C Kasha 200g, aka Roasted Buckwheat Kernels
- 1/2 C Walnuts 60g
- 14 oz Coconut Milk full fat (one can), 396g
- 4 Medjool Dates pitted
- 2 Tbs Pure Maple Syrup
- 2 Tbs Chia Seeds
- 1/8 tsp Sea Salt
- ***advance prep*** - In a large glass jar, soak the kasha and walnuts overnight, or at least 4 hours.
- Rinse the walnuts and kasha through a fine mesh strainer under running water, shaking the strainer several times ensure through rinsing.
- Place walnuts, kasha, coconut milk, dates, maple syrup, chia seeds and salt in a blender (I use VitaMix) and blend on high speed for about 20 seconds. Scrape down sides and blend again for another 5-10 seconds. If a looser porridge is desired, water or additional milk can be blended in.
- Spoon into small 8oz jars for easy grab and go breakfasts to be stored in the refrigerator or into bowls to serve immediately. Can be served chilled or gently warmed. Top with favorite toppings, drizzle with maple syrup and or thin with a bit of milk. Store into lidded containers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.