Chocolate Hazelnut Brownies are decadent, rich, fudgy, dark and oh so chocolatey. This recipe is vegan, gluten free and grain free.
Just Gimme Chocolate
If I’m going to have dessert, just gimme chocolate.
Possibly the reason for my having at least some chocolate component in so many of the sweet recipes on Vanilla And Bean.
So when I got my hot little hands on Alexandra’s Plant Based Comfort Food ebook (no longer available) and saw the cover, I immediately went straight for the brownies.
Rich. Decadent. Fudgy. Dark.
Pass me another, please.
Even Rob agreed. Although he just had to throw in that these brownies aren’t regular (his word), as if I were unaware (rolls eyes). He surprised himself, though, because he actually likes these healthy brownies. I took it as a compliment and passed it on to Alexandra.
I didn’t hear him complaining upon multiple reach-ins to the brownie jar.
Rich and Oh So Chocolatey
Dutch cocoa powder and 72% dark chocolate chunks make these brownies over-the-top chocolately. Chocolate chips will work well here too, if preferred.
If dairy free or vegan, be sure to read the labels on chocolate and always go for a high quality chocolate. This resource lists many available varieties. I tend to buy baking chocolate in bulk because there’s less packaging waste and it’s more economical.
About the Brownies
The sugar Alexandra uses in this recipe is coconut sugar. Have you baked with it? It’s subtly sweet.
When paired with chocolate it allows the chocolate notes to shine making these brownies extra rich. Perfect for a dark-chocolate lover.
These brownies come together fast, with very little clean up while they bake, filling your home with the most divine scent of chocolate.
Alexandra suggests paring these fudgy brownies with berries and coconut cream. Since berries are out of season here, I went for the ice cream with a slightly warm brownie. Mmmmm.
Head over to check out Alexandra’s blog, Occassionally Eggs for inspiration, adventure and delicious recipes, then make these easy brownies.
Now excuse me while I take another bite. :D
Chocolate Hazelnut Brownies
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C) and line an 8" x 8" (20cm x 20cm) baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl sift in the hazelnut meal, cocoa powder, tapioca, extract, salt, and baking powder. If there is any hazelnut meal left in the sifter, add that to the bowl. Whisk in the coconut sugar. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, and oil. Pour over the dry ingredients and mix until incorporated. Fold in the chopped chocolate.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared baking dish. Using an offset spatula, smooth the top. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the brownies comes out almost clean (be sure to test several spots and the chopped chocolate will stick to the toothpick making it look like they're not done!).
- Remove from oven and allow brownies to cool in the pan on a cooling rack. Cut into 16 equal pieces. Serve with fresh berries and coconut cream or ice cream. To rewarm brownies, place in a warmed 350F oven for about 5 minutes. Store in a covered container at room temperature. Do not refrigerate.