Saucy, tangy and so flavorful Grilled BBQ Tofu Vegetable Kebabs are slathered in homemade BBQ sauce. They’re simple to make and packed with late summer favorites! vegan + gluten free
I have a weakness for BBQ. I’m particularly fond of sturdy veggies that can be grilled and slathered with homemade Smoky Bourbon BBQ Sauce. Whippin up a double batch of that sauce and freezing the rest for whenever the mood strikes means it’s almost always stocked in the freezer.
BBQ sauce is a quintessential summertime staple.
And for good reason. It’s a perfect partner for grilled vegetables and it makes a mean marinade for BBQ tofu.
How to make Grilled BBQ Tofu Vegetable Kebabs:
- Press the tofu so that most of the water is drained out. Then, bake the tofu at high heat. This dries the tofu out further, improving it’s ability to soak up the BBQ sauce and improve its texture.
- Marinate the tofu in homemade Smoky BBQ Sauce.
- Meanwhile, chop the vegetables into bite size pieces. Toss them in a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper, then skewer them.
- Grill the kebabs while slathering with BBQ sauce for about 15 minutes or until charred on all sides, the veggies are tender crisp and those plump cherry tomatoes burst.
- Dig in!
A Few Recipe Notes:
- Bamboo or metal skewers? I like bamboo and can get about two uses out of each skewer (they compost easily). The veggies adhere to the skewer better than with metal where they tend to slip easier. If using bamboo, be sure to soak the skewers in water before slipping the veggies and tofu on the skewer.
- Grilled BBQ Tofu Vegetable Kebabs can be prepared and assembled ahead and rested in the refrigerator several hours prior to grilling. The marinated tofu can be prepared a day ahead of when needed.
- For tender crisp grilled vegetables, go for about 15 minutes on the grill. If you prefer them a little more cooked, lean towards 18-20 minutes. Taste as you go find your grilled vegetable sweet spot!
- I use my homemade Smoky Bourbon BBQ Sauce in this recipe, but your favorite sauce will work beautifully too!
- I love to share these BBQ skewers with a fully loaded stuffed baked potato. Potato salad and grilled corn on the cob make a fabulous accompaniment as well.
More Vegetarian BBQ and Sides Recipes to Love:
- BBQ Black Eyed Pea Collard Rolls
- Texas Potato Salad
- Pulled Portobello BBQ Sandwich
- Black Eyed Peas with Smoky Collards and Cheesy Grits
- Smoky BBQ Baked Beans
Grilled BBQ Tofu Vegetable Kebabs
Saucy, tangy and so flavorful Grilled BBQ Tofu Vegetable Kebabs are slathered in homemade BBQ sauce. They're simple to make and packed with late summer favorites! Marinade the tofu in advance to make these kebabs a snap to pull together. Plan on 3 kebabs each for adults (my hubs likes 4). vegan + gluten free
For the Vegetables:
- 1 Pint (435g) Cherry Tomatoes
- 8oz (250g) Zucchini about one large
- 6oz (170g) Crimini Mushrooms
- 1/2 (155g) Red Bell Pepper large
- 1/2 (155g) Green Bell Pepper large
- 1/2 (175g) Purple Onion large
- 2 Tbs Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp Fine Sea Salt
- Fresh Ground Pepper
For the Tofu (prep ahead if desired):
Since tofu is packaged in water, we need press the water out of it to make room for flavor. To press tofu, use a tea towel and place it under and on top of the tofu. Set it on a plate. Place something heavy on top, like a cutting board, another plate or a not-so-full box of wine to press the water out. We don't want it too heavy or it will squash the tofu. Move the tea towel a few times to a dryer area of the towel so it can absorb more water. Press for about 20-30 minutes, up to an hour if you have time.
Preheat the oven to 425F (218C). Line a sheet pan with silpat or parchment paper. Cut the tofu into 1/2" (1.27cm) cubes - 32 pieces. Arrange the tofu on the sheet pan in one layer. Bake for 20-22 minutes. The tofu should be slightly golden yet still soft.
Transfer the warm tofu to a medium mixing bowl and pour the BBQ sauce over it then give it a good stir. Cover and let marinate for at least 30 minutes or up to eight hours. Set aside.
For the Vegetables:
If using bamboo skewers, soak them in water while you prepare the veggies. Cut the veggies into bite size pieces and place in a large mixing bowl. Drizzle the olive oil over the veggies then season with salt and pepper. Toss the veggies together so that they're coated in oil.
Preheat the grill to between 400-450F (204-232C). Skewer the veggies and tofu while reserving the leftover BBQ sauce. Place the kebabs on the grill and grill for about 15-20 minutes total (15 = more tender crisp / 20 = softer, throughly cooked), slathering with more BBQ sauce and making 1/4 turns every four to five minutes so that the veggies and tofu are equally cooked on all sides. Charring is good!
Serve as soon as they come off they grill. They tend to cool quickly. If needed, keep the kebabs warm for a few minutes after fully cooked still on the grill but with the grill turned off.
For leftovers, store in the refrigerator for up to three days in a covered container. This recipe does not freeze well.