Whip up the easiest four ingredient Mango Spinach Smoothie for breakfast or snack. It’s filling, refreshing and full of flavor. Add a few optional extras to make this a next level mango green smoothie! This recipe is vegetarian, vegan and gluten free.
A Simple Green Smoothie
Easy. Simple. Delicious. Refreshing.
Green smoothies are on repeat in our home, year round. But I especially get excited for summertime smoothies simply because there’s so much variety in seasonal fruit to choose from.
Most of the time I keep it simple. Greens, fruit and fat… and of course water. But other times, I like to add in a few bold flavor builders like ginger and/or mint to keep things interesting. Sometimes I have extra ginger on hand from making curry or the garden is especially full of mint!
A High Speed Blender
A high speed blender is a must for the creamiest green smoothies. I’ve been using VitaMix for over 12 years (the same one!). It’s a workhorse in my kitchen. From soups, to waffles, sauces and nut milk, it’s the most used electric in my kitchen, outside of the refrigerator!
It pulverizes ingredients for smoothies to make them the creamiest, easiest breakfast out there. Making them a part of my daily routine helps ensure I’m meeting my daily goals for greens. And with a smoothie, it’s not hard to do.
How to Make a Mango Spinach Smoothie
The only trick to blending a green smoothie is making sure the ingredients are layered in so that the blade has freedom to move and doesn’t get hung up on frozen fruit. Here’s how to do it:
- First, in the pitcher of a high speed blender, layer in the following order: spinach, mango, frozen banana and hemp hearts. Pour in the water and add any extras like ginger or mint.
- Last, blend all the ingredients until smooth.
Mango banana spinach smoothie is best enjoyed right away as green smoothies begin to oxidize and lose flavor as they set. If storing for later, give the smoothie a squeeze of lemon or lime, then store in the fridge in a lidded glass Mason jar. Consume within 24 hours.
A Few Recipe Notes
- A high speed blender is a must for the creamiest green smoothies. I’ve been using VitaMix for over 12 years (the same one!). I love it for green smoothies and so many other things.
- Plan Ahead: Keep a bag of frozen bananas in the freezer for smoothie making. They’re always ready when you are! Too, check with the produce department for old, spotty brown bananas. Sometimes they’ll offer them at a discount. Be sure to freeze em’ when you get home!
- Cutting a Mango: This video on YouTube shows several mango cutting techniques so we can get to the good stuff!
- Add Ins: A piece of fresh ginger and/or fresh mint are lovely in this green smoothie. Ginger is considered loud, so add more or less to taste.
- Substitutions in this Mango Green Smoothie:
- Swiss Chard or Romaine for Spinach
- Nut Milk for Water and Hemp Hearts
More Smoothies to Love
Mango Spinach Smoothie
- 2 C (100g) Fresh Spinach packed
- 2 C (285g) Fresh Mango skinned and cut into chunks, about 1 mango
- 1 Frozen Banana large
- 1/4 C (40g) Hemp Hearts
- 1 1/2 C (300g) Water
Optional Add-ins (see notes):
- 1/2" (1.3cm) Piece of Fresh Ginger no need to remove skin
- 4-5 Leaves of Mint
- In the pitcher of a high speed blender (I use VitaMix) add the ingredients in the following order: spinach, mango, banana, hemp hearts and water. If using, add the ginger and/or mint on top.
- Lid the pitcher and blend on medium-high speed until the ingredients are smooth and creamy, about 40 seconds. Taste and thin with more water if desired.
- Enjoy right away!