For the coldest months of the year, add a little sunshine to your routine with a Carrot-Ginger Citrus Immune Boosting Smoothie. This turmeric smoothie recipe comes together fast and is an easy way to start the day on a healthy note. This recipe is vegetarian, vegan and gluten free.
Setting resolutions never works for me. But as the new year rolls around, I’ve new and revisited goals and intentions fresh on my mind. Using the start of a new year as a point of reflection and a time to think specifically about the year ahead has simply become a habit.
As I thumbed through last year’s calendar before recycling it, I noticed goals I set for 2017. Some met, a few not. I tried not to judge failure to dig deep into yoga and learn how to shoot and edit recipe videos. After all, I can set those intentions this year as well.
But I noticed my loud audible sigh that came with those thoughts.
Smoothies became habit years ago when my cousin first showed me how her VitaMix blender whipped up all the things. But I was most impressed with how her daily routine had shifted to always included a smoothie. So, I started saving for one and finally purchased it.
I’ve been using VitaMix just about every day since. Rob and I even take it on road trips with us… that’s how much we love smoothies! I can pack in so many fruits and veggies, far more than I would otherwise eat in a day.
This turmeric-orange carrot smoothie is one I’ve been making for years. I love it in the morning, or I have it for lunch as a meal replacer. Sometimes I shove a few leaves of romaine in it, similar to this Citrus Ginger Mint Smoothie.
This turmeric smoothie recipe is bright, with a punch of ginger and is slightly sweet. It reminds me of sunshine during these cold, gray days.
I rely on a few websites and books when I want to know more about the research and nutrient profiles of food I eat. Here are a few things I’ve learned and love about this turmeric, orange and carrot smoothie recipe:
- Quick and easy to make.
- Citrus + Carrots: provide a good dose of antioxidents like vitamin C and beta-carotene. (WorldsHealthiestFooods.com)
- Ginger: supports cleaning of the lymphatic system. (DrAxe.com)
- Fiber rich.
- Turmeric: a whole host of benefits including digestive support, anti-inflammatory, lowering blood sugar and anti-cancer. (DrAxe.com)
- Hemp Hearts: provides a bit of protein, GLA – an omega fatty acid that supports natural hormonal balance (DrAxe.com).
Also, my friend Kelly, at Inspired Edibles, shares 6 Ways to Arm Your Immune System for Cold and Flu Season.
I could go on and on about plants and tease out all the details of their benefits, but at the end of the day, I know they benefit and support my overall health. This is reason I’ll continue daily smoothies and because I love rich foods, cocktails and desserts; forever striving for balance.
And, I’ll continue working on learning the ways of recipe videos, editing and some resemblance of a yoga routine. To help with yoga, I joined Gaia.com and am following @a.Taylor.Made.Life for inspiration.
I’d love to hear your new year’s intentions, goals, aspirations and/or things you’ll continue in the new year that have supported overall health and wellness (mind and body)! Any online apps to recommend or people who inspire you? Please leave a link below!
Making Smoothies a New Habit?
I’ve had my VitaMix (affiliate link) for almost ten years and it is by far the most used electric in my kitchen. It’s a workhorse! Creating homemade nut milk, smoothies, soups, salsas, cocktails are just a few of the things I use it for. I can’t recommend it enough!
Carrot-Ginger Citrus Immune Boosting Smoothie
- 1 Navel or Cara Cara Orange or three small oranges such as mandarin or satsuma, peeled
- 1 Thin Slice of Lemon , leave skin on
- 2 Medium Carrots choped
- 1 Banana sliced into chunks, frozen is preferred for extra creamy and chill
- 1 inch (2.5cm) knob of Fresh Ginger make this 1 1/2" if you looove ginger, leave skin on
- 3 Tbs Hemp Hearts or a small handful of preferred nuts such as cashews
- 1/2 tsp Ground Turmeric* (see notes)
- 1 C (235g) Water
- Into the pitcher of a high-speed blender (I use VitaMix) add the orange(s), lemon, carrots, banana, ginger, hemp hearts, turmeric and water. Start on low and increase speed up to high until all the ingredients are smooth. About 45 seconds. Pour into a glass and top with a sprinkle hemp hearts.
I've read that a pinch of black pepper helps activate the turmeric. Feel free to add a pinch to this smoothie for a peppery kick!