Rich, creamy and so decadent. Bourbon and cashews make this ice cream over the top creamy while the vanilla beans shine; Vegan Bourbon Vanilla Bean Ice Cream.
So many interpretations have given us opportunities to make it with a variety of ingredients. Not just the traditional dairy and eggs but with nondairy milks, bananas, and whole nuts made with or without a machine.
Ice cream’s versatility has given everyone an option to fit their dietary lifestyle, so we can all enjoy sublime deliciousness of the frozen treat.
Vegan Bourbon Vanilla Bean Ice Cream is churned, made with cashews and coconut milk. After making these Bourbon Vanilla Bean Shortbread Cookies, I knew I had to make an ice cream interpretation. The whole vanilla bean, pod and beans, is included this ice cream, with additional vanilla paste and extract to boost vanilla notes. The bourbon? Well, you know it’s a favorite libation because it pairs so well with fruit base desserts, drinks, and savory food.
All the reason I take time and have invested in the equipment to churn ice cream. Churning accomplishes several things. First, it reduces the size of the ice crystals by freezing the base fast, creating tiny ice crystals for a silky smooth mouth-feel. It also incorporates air, making it light and extra creamy.
Although there are several options for no-churn, and I’ve tried a few, I’ve not been able to recreate the churn texture I’m after. I’ve been working on this process, and more experiments are in the works. I hope to create one that I’m happy with, and as soon as I do, you know I’ll be sharing it here.
Until then, if you have an ice cream maker, pull it out of the back of the cabinet or dig it out of storage. Take time to age and churn your ice cream. If you’ve not yet made that investment but want to churn your own ice cream at home, ask a friend or family member if you can borrow theirs.
To inspire your ice cream making-goals, a bunch of bloggers got together and shared their most delicious and crave worthy ice cream recipes. Find the links below and get into ice cream making mode this Summer!
Vegan Bourbon Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
- 1 C Raw Cashews soaked in very hot water for 10 minutes or soaked in room temperature water overnight, rinsed and drained, 122g
- 1 3/4 C Full Fat Coconut Milk 386g, 1 Can
- 1 in Whole Vanilla Bean Pod cut 1/2
- 1 Tbs Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Vanilla Bean Paste or more extract
- 3 Tbs Maple Syrup
- 3 Tbs Bourbon Whiskey
- 1/4 C Water 59g
- 1/3 C Light Brown Sugar packed, 58g
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- *See note on commercial Ice Cream Cones
- Place the ice cream maker freezer container in the freezer 24 hours prior to making the ice cream.
- Into a high-speed blender (I use VitaMix), add the cashews, coconut milk, whole vanilla pod + all it's beans, drained cashews, extract, paste, maple syrup, bourbon, water, brown sugar, and sea salt. Blend on medium-high speed for 30 seconds. Scrape down container. Blend again until silky smooth, about 30 seconds. It will get steamy - this is okay. Pour base mixture into a lidded container and store in refrigerator for at least 8 hours. It needs to be good and cold before churning.
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper and place in freezer just before churning.
- Churn the base according to manufactures directions (mine took 22 minutes).
- Spoon the ice cream into the loaf pan. It can be served at this time as soft serve, but for a firmer ice cream, press on. Place parchment directly on top of the ice cream and then place it in a plastic storage bag (I use an old bread bag). This will help prevent ice crystal formation. Allow to rest over night for a firmer ice cream.
- The ice cream is ready when it's the desired consistency. Be sure to let it set for about 15 minutes at room temperature before scooping.
- Store covered in the freezer for up to a week.
S’mores Ice Cream via A Cookie Named Desire
Coffee Chocolate Ripple Ice Cream via An Italian in my Kitchen
Unicorn Ice Cream via The Tip Toe Fairy
Tahini Ice Cream with Chocolate Chip Cookies via The Floating Kitchen
No Churn Honey Nut Ice Cream via Honey and Birch
Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Praline Crunch Ice Cream via Heart of a Baker
Peanut Butter Lovers Ice Cream via Cookie Dough and Oven Mitt
Cotton Candy Ice Cream via Homemade Hooplah
Mint Mojito Coffee Ice Cream via The Little Epicurean
Strawberry Banana Ice Cream via The Bitter Side of Sweet
Peanut Butter Ice Cream via Pretty Simple Sweet
Vanilla Rainbow Ice Cream via Go Go Go Gourmet
Lychee and Cherry Swirl Ice Cream via My Food Story
Brigadeiro Ice Cream via Olivia’s Cuisine
Salted Pretzel Ice Cream with Chocolate and Peanut Butter via Cake Over Steak
Many Thanks to Our Sponsors:
*Disclosure: I received complementary product from Rodelle to use in this recipe. All opinions are my own.
* * * The Giveaway Has Ended * * *
Congratulations to Angie W. !!
The giveaway prize included an ice cream maker from Cuisinart, an ice cream scoop from Zeroll, vanilla from Rodelle, containers, popscicle molds, a scoop from Tovolo, and Sweet Cream and Sugar Cones cookbook!