Smooth, tart and a bit of sweet, this cranberry juice cocktail is muddled with fresh cranberries for the brightest flavors. A hint of rosemary gives Cranberry-Orange Gin Smash just a bit of intrigue.
In season fruity cocktails are always a favorite. Natural colors make the most beautiful sips with the addition of jewel-like garnishes. The holidays are a perfect time to get fancy anyway! But as fancy as this cranberry juice cocktail may seem, it’s really quite a simple sipper to pull together.
I’ve included a single and batch recipe below for your planning needs.
PRO TIP: check your local thrift store for fancy cocktail glasses. I got the glasses in this post for $0.25 each! Aren’t they fun?
How to Make Cranberry-Orange Gin Smash
- First, make the sugared cranberries and include a spring of rosemary and a bit of orange peel in the sauce pot. Reserve the syrup from the sugared cranberries for the cocktail (double duty). Allow to cool.
- Next, muddle the cranberries, and orange peel in a bit of the simple syrup. Add ice, orange juice, orange liqueur, gin and cranberry juice.
- Third, shake shake shake or stir!
- Last, double strain into a cocktail glass and garnish.
Can I make Cranberry-Orange Gin Smash Ahead?
Yes! Make the recipe as directed and store in a lidded jar. Because of the fresh ingredients, I would make it just one day ahead of when needed. The sugared cranberries (includes the simple syrup) can be made one day ahead of when needed as well!
A Few Recipe Notes
- Sugared cranberries can be made up to a day in advance. They take a little over an hour to make because they have to dry before rolling in sugar. If you’re short on time, skip them all- together. When making the simple syrup, instead, just add the rosemary and orange.
- The rosemary adds just a hint of intrigue. It’s not overwhelming.
- Muddling the cranberries with rosemary releases their oils and makes this cocktail extra special. Don’t skip it.
- Some brands of cranberry juice have added sweeteners, so adjust the simple accordingly when making this cocktail. I use unsweeted, pure cranberry juice because it’s organic and SO tart – in a good way. It’s a little pricy, but it lasts a long time in the fridge, and you only need an ounce per cocktail in this recipe.
- I’ve included a single and X4 recipe below. Make up to one day ahead if batch making, and store in a lidded jar in the refrigerator.
More Cranberry Juice Cocktails to Love!
- The Big Sister
- Cranberry and Mint Rum Punch – from Foolproof Living
- Sparkling Christmas Tree Cocktail from Floating Kitchen
- Cranberry Sage Cocktail – from Salted Plains
- Cranberry Champagne Sparkler – from Ciao Chow Bambina
Cranberry-Orange Gin Smash
For One Cocktail:
For Four Cocktails:
- 1/3 C (50g) Whole Fresh Cranberries
- 1-2 oz (28-56g) Simple Syrup* adjust to taste - see note
- Fresh Rosemary Leaves
- 1/2 C (112g) Unsweetened Cranberry Juice
- 1/4 C (56g) Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice I like cara cara, clementines or mandarins
- 1/4 C (56g) Grand Marnier
- 3/4 C (168g) Gin I like The Botanist
- Sugared Cranberries for garnish
- In a cocktail shaker, cocktail mixing glass or large canning jar (for batch mixing) add the cranberries, simple syrup and rosemary leaves. Muddle until the cranberries pop. Add a handful of ice, cranberry juice, orange juice, Grand Marnier, and gin. Shake or stir. Taste for simple adjustment. Double strain into cocktail glasses and garnish with sugared cranberries and, if desired, a rosemary sprig.
- Cocktails can be made up to one day ahead and stored in a lidded container in the refrigerator.