It’s been a tough few weeks since my last post, friends. As many of you know, Claire, our best feline friend of 18 years passed away April 12. We’re heartbroken, but getting stronger each day. I can finally walk into another room without my tissues… but tears still flow when I pull up a video or look at her pictures. I suppose that will subside over time. It’s so hard.
Thank you for your outpouring of love and support. It has helped more than you know. I’ve created a tribute page to Claire here, if you would like to know more about her. I’d love to hear about your best friends too.
I took a bit of time off from blogging last week to grieve. I’ve missed y’all. But I was so unmotivated and had difficulty getting enthusiastic about anything. Rob and I took several long walks and hiked a bit. This helped me breath deep, clear my head and it lifted my mood. Getting outdoors always makes me feel better.
But then coming back home, to an empty house… Claire’s not here. She always came to the door to greet us, with her chatty words, raised tail and her glorious eyes beaming with love, up until the last few weeks of her life… up until she just didn’t have the energy to come anymore. She was an extraordinary girl. We have a new norm.
Lacking motivation but a desire to stay positive, I took a drive to the Co-Op where I spied fresh asparagus. When I realized it was grown close to my home in the Skagit Valley I snatched up several bundles and got to work. It was so fresh, tender and hydrated. I started to feel better.
I had recently made another loaf of mulitgrain bread, so I decided it was time to get creative with toast. Toast is probably my favorite way to enjoy multigrain bread. I think it’s because toasting brings out deep, nutty flavors of the seeds and wheat. And what’s not better than avocado on top of toast?
A fresh surprise in this recipe is mint and lime. They add a hint of freshness and a nice balance to the richness of the avocado.
As a vehicle for just about anything you want to put on it, toast makes a delicious snack, appetizer, quick breakfast, or lunch. Quick to pull together, coming in at 25 minutes, even this recipe makes a hearty breakfast.
Please be sure to head over to Claire’s tribute page. I know so many of you are pet parents to fur babies and will find her story beautiful and inspiring.
Thank you again for your support and care.
Avocado with Roasted Asparagus on Multigrain Toast
- 6 Stems of Fresh Asparagus 168g
- 2 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil 10g
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt divided
- A few grinds of Ground Pepper
- 1 Avocado 228g
- 1/2 in Lime cut 1/2 (50g)
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Salt
- 4 Leaves Fresh Mint chiffonade, then chopped fine
- 1/2 a handful of Sprouts any variety (I used alfalfa)
- 2 Slices of Multigrain Bread or Gluten Free Bread
- Preheat oven to 400F (204C). Trim the ends of the asparagus. Drizzle asparagus with olive oil and spread it around so that it covers the asparagus throughly. Sprinkle with 1/8 tsp salt and a few grinds of pepper. Roast for 15 minutes, rolling the asparagus over at least once during roasting.
- Meanwhile, mash the avocado. Add 1/2 the juice of lime, remaining salt, and garlic. Mix well. Taste for seasoning adjustment.
- Toast the bread.
- Spread the avocado mixture over the toast, then add the asparagus, squeeze of lime, sprinkle the mint over the top, then add the sprouts.
- If desired, sprinkle a pinch of salt over the assembled toast.
- Serve immediately, while the asparagus is warm.
Nutrition is provided as an estimate and courtesy. If this information is important to you, please verify it independently.
Thank you for reading! If you make this recipe, or any others on Vanilla And Bean, be sure to post it to Facebook or Instagram, notify me @vanillaandbean and tag #vanillaandbean! I’d love to see what you’ve made! Also, if you like my content, please consider sharing it with three friends and/or family and follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook and/or Twitter. Thank you!