Flavor and texture rich, simple ingredients shine in this easy vegetarian sandwich recipe. Simple to pull together, this Roasted Beet and Sauerkraut Sandwich includes a good schmear of whole grain mustard bringing all the flavors together. vegan + optionally gluten free
Before we get to this sauerkraut sandwich recipe, a note on how I got here. Being a foodblogger has afforded opportunities to explore and dive into food on a whole new level. Becoming familiar with new-to-me ingredients and ways of cooking has broadened my palate and enlightened my world view on food.
Recipe development and food photography is my work, now, so exposure to all things food is on the daily agenda.
For recipe inspiration, I thumb through the pages of magazines, cookbooks, the Vegetarian Flavor Bible, and scroll through Pinterest and Instagram. But most of the time, I gain inspiration from the food that the farm stands are offering and whatever is in season. I’m frequently asking, how can I use this ingredient in a recipe.
Beets have been on the agenda lately, so Rob and I have been pickling all the beets. But last week I decided I’d roast the latest bunch for salads or snacks…
But then I spied some sauerkraut… and had just made a new loaf of sourdough (I’ve been investigating multigrain). I had everything I needed to make an easy beet and sauerkraut sandwich recipe!
And so it happened.
Now, I would have never thought to put beets on a vegetable sandwich. Really. And I use to despise sauerkraut. But my taste buds have matured… as has my appreciation for fermented foods.
How to Make Roasted Beet and Sauerkraut Sandwich:
You just need a few simple ingredients to pull this mouthwatering easy vegetarian sandwich recipe together!
- Bread – I love sourdough, but whatever your favorite bread is is the best bread!
- Roasted and peeled beets – I have a tutorial on How to Roast Beets if you need.
- Whole grain mustard
This vegetable sandwich is simple to pull together after the beets are roasted. I usually roast a batch on the weekend and eat on them throughout the week.
This veg sandwich is texture rich, sweet, spicy and sour mouth party. Woah! It’s all in there.
And the best part, this beet and sauerkraut sandwich comes together with four basic ingredients. Now that’s what I call easy peasy!
A Few Recipe Notes for Roasted Beet and Sauerkraut Sandwich:
- Beets can be roasted up to four days in advance and stored in the refrigerator. Keeping these on hand means I can pull a quick salad together or make a fabulous veg sandwich!
- Although I love homemade sauerkraut, it’s generally an ingredient I purchase. Pickled Planet is my favorite brand.
- Don’t skimp on the mustard! Whole grain mustard gives this sandwich a tangy and full bodied flavor that you’ll return to again and again. I like Maille.
More Easy Vegetarian (and Vegan) Sandwich Recipes to Love:
- Italian Pressed Sandwich with Olive Tapenade
- Smashed Chickpea Salad with Pecans and Grapes
- Almond-Sage Pesto Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Cheese-less Smashed Pimento Chickpea Sandwich
Roasted Beet and Sauerkraut Sandwich
To Roast the Beets:
- Preheat oven to 400F (204C). Trim the greens to the base of the beets and save for another recipe (I love them in green smoothies!). You won't need the greens here. Trim the tail and discard. Place beets in an oven proof baker or pot with a lid and fill with 1/2" - 1" water, cover and roast for 40-50 minutes or until fork- tender (the larger the beets, the longer the roast). Once the beets are out of the oven, allow to cool until they can be handled. There are two ways to approach beet peeling. Use a vegetable peeler and gently remove the skin or simply slip the skins off. Your choice. Once the skins are removed, slice the beets into thin (about 1/4") discs. Refrigerate for up to three days.
To Assemble the Sandwich:
- Slather two slices of bread with a generous schmear of mustard. Arrange a layer of beets, overlapping a bit, then top with a few heaped tablespoons of sauerkraut. Sprinkle the top with sprouts, microgreens or lettuce. Enjoy right away.